Can I stop Norton auto scanning every little thing I download?

Discussion in 'Software' started by tomocr1978, Jan 21, 2008.

1. tomocr1978

tomocr1978 Private E-2

I have had a wee browse of some related posts but can't find anything. Well, I have come to the conclusion that most folk here do not favour Norton, I know that much. Anyway, Im sick of Norton auto scanning everything I save or download. Especially when I try to save a web page for future reference. Norton opens up about 20-40 different windows for each object on the page (I think that is what it is doing anyway). Then I have to close them all down individually. If I go to Close Group, Norton then asks me if I want to cancel each and every scan that is taking place. Argh! There has to be a way of stopping this from happening ion the settings. I hope someone out there with thicker spectacles than me can help. Thanks.

2. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

You should definitely be able to change the setting. Most of the time they have a certain level of protection. It sounds like yours is set at the highest level.

I don't have Norton. It's been a while since I have, so I don't know how you would get there exactly.

What you need to do is state which version you are using and which feature is doing the scanning. Is it the auto-protect?

3. tomocr1978

tomocr1978 Private E-2

Figured it out, it wasn't Norton after all. It was my FireFox Download bar plug in doing an auto custom scan. Turned it off. I'm gonna give AVG and Comodo a blast as I am sick of forking out £40 every year. Lets see how I get on. Cheers LauraR for your reply.

4. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

No prob. Glad you figured it out.

Comodo is great. I haven't tried AVG, but I know a lot of people here like it. Most of the better protection programs are free.

Just make sure that you completely remove Norton. It's hard to do and doesn't uninstall itself very well. You should use the Norton Removal Tool to get rid of it.

Good luck. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds