Can i switch these video cards?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by UltimateRockLee, Jul 22, 2004.

1. UltimateRockLee

UltimateRockLee Private E-2

i just bought city of heroes...ive been waiting a while to play this game, got everything set up, paid for the month, and now i cant see the character i just made. There is a reason for this, which is i dont have a compatible video card, and one would be:

NVIDIA GeForce 2 GTS/MX/Pro
    NVIDIA GeForce 3 Ti
    NVIDIA GeForce 4 MX
    NVIDIA GeForce 4 Ti (4200, 4400, 4600, 4800)
    NVIDIA GeForce FX (5200, 5600, 5700, 5800, 5900, 5950)
    NVIDIA GeForce 6800 (Ultra/GTS)
    NVIDIA Quadro Family (with 56.72 ForceWare drivers)
    ATI Radeon (8500, 9000, 9100, 9200, 9500, 9600, 9600XT, 9600 SE, 9700, 9800, 9800XT)
    ATI All In Wonder (9000, 9600, 9700, 9800)
    ATI Radeon X300, X600 and X800

But i have an intell series, so it wont load the character. Is there anything i can do to switch the cards out of my computer (i have a inspiron 1100 laptop)? Or can i just update it at all, or did i just blow $50 on a game i'm gonna have to return/sell?

2. DanTekGeek

DanTekGeek Master Sergeant

looks like you are screwed man. laptops cant be upgraded unless they are specificly designed to be. you might be able to get the company to refund your money if you tell them your situation. sorry i couldent give you better news.

3. NeoNemesis

NeoNemesis Moutharrhea

ooo switching hardware or installing hardware in a laptop is extremely difficult and almost 99% of the time the video cards in laptops are soldered to the motherboard. the only laptops that are even interchangeable with regular video cards are the new alienware and dell laptops other than that laptop video cards are very different from desktop ones and can't be changed. i hate to b the beary of bad news but im not sure you will be able to play your game on yoru laptop since you won't be able to upgrade your laptop. you can always playing the game on the lowest quality though. or if you have a desktop computer you can try it on there. otherwise there isn't much you can do.

4. UltimateRockLee

....thanks u guys for the quick replys. well im gonna go try and salvage the game (didnt rip the box for once so maybe i can return it...). :mad:

5. NeoNemesis

NeoNemesis Moutharrhea

do you have a desktop computer?

.... if not it certainly would make a good present for someone like a relative.

6. UltimateRockLee

naw no desktop, but i think i have an ok chance of returning it since ive had it for like 3 hours and i kept everything in mint condition (except the little peice of tape that closed the top). but hey, things could be worse, like my computer crashing or something :)

7. NeoNemesis

NeoNemesis Moutharrhea

yeh thats true.

8. TheFrostyOne

TheFrostyOne Private E-2

Eh u didnt miss much from that game. It was fun for like 2 weeks-1 month but after that it got real boring. Well it'll probably get real good once City of Villans come out next year I think January 2005. While that happen save up for a computer! :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds