Can I use linux OS to save files (family pictures)on win2k?

Discussion in 'Software' started by mcduke, May 12, 2007.

1. mcduke

mcduke Corporal

I sold my old gaming system to a friend of mine which consists of:
    Matsonic motherboard w/ athlon xp2600 cpu
    cd burner
    cd player
    768mb ram
    60gig HD
    40gig HD
    geforce 6800 w/128mb ram video card
    onboard sound and nic connection

It was working fine when I sold it to him, and now 2 weeks ago he started having problems with the computer freezing up. Now he cann't get the computer to start up into windows. He gets a message that says there are corrupt files and click here to fix. That didn't work. He doesn't have a start up disk for it and tried to fix the problem with the windows 2000 os disk hoping that the needed files would copy off of it with no luck. He doesn't want to lose the family pictures on the HD. The only thing I would be able to do is to reload the os system, but I don't want to ruin his pictures on the HD.
    The win2k os is on the 60gig HD and he uses the 40gigHD as a slave.

So, I have a full ubuntu linux os that can load from the disk to ram. Would I be able to somehow save the files for him with the linux os by copying the files he wants to save on the 60gig HD to the 40gigHD, then reload the win2k on the 60gig HD again? Or even use the cd burner to save the files on a cd?

2. Petaluma

Petaluma First Sergeant

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds