Can I use this cheap TV as a monitor substitute?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Questioning1, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Questioning1

Questioning1 Private E-2

I needed a cheap computer for my living room to primarily play .mp3s, .avi's, .mp4, and other Multimedia.

Here is the computer [Tiger Direct]

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7973276&CatId=2628

I bumped the RAM up from 2 GB to 2.5 GB.

I don't want to upgrade the size of my 22" display unless I can get the price I want.

Would the following [Tiger Direct] TV be compatible?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...e=Homepage-_-Zone2_5-_-CatId_37_S55-102030395

I've never understood the difference between monitors and digital input TVs, but I'm curious to know if anybody has time & patience to enlighten me.

Thank you kindly

2. Questioning1

Questioning1 Private E-2

3. Puppywunder58

Puppywunder58 Master Sergeant

You'll find that there is no VGA input on the "40" set, so you can't use it.

4. rustysavage

rustysavage Sergeant Major

Yea, now that I think about it, either do I. Actually, I think about it every time I sit in front of my TV computer monitor. Please enlighten us both.:confused

5. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

TVs are not designed for text, for one.

Which do you think has clearer text:

a 22 inch monitor at 1080p, or a 32 or 40 inch 1080p?

Its going to look pretty fuzzy.

You are going bigger everything, but not gaining any screen real estate. 1080p at 15.6 inches fits the same amount of things as 1080p at 55 inches. I guarantee you my laptop looks sharper than that 55 inch TV though.

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

7. rustysavage

Thanks for the link. Here's what the webpage concerned itself with:

Sabrent USB 2.0 to HDMI Adpter for Multiple Monitors with HDMI/DVI Adapter up to 1920x1080/1600x1200 Each (DisplayLink DL-165 Chipset) USB-HDMI

That's in English, isn't it? How am I supposed to think outside the box when I don't yet even understand what's in the box.

"Computer Hardware for Dummies" should be here any day now.;) (actually, I'm serious)

8. joffa

joffa Major Geek's Official Birthday Announcer

I use a 40" Sharp Aquos 3D Quatron for my monitor on my desk and although it has a VGA connector, I use the HDMI inputs straight from each graphic card as it seems slightly clearer but don't know why :confused
    The Aquos is connected to my i7 watercooled gaming PC and also my i7 workstation via a Belken Touch KVM (to switch my wireless Logitech MX5500 revolution keyboard and mouse) and then I use the Aquos remote control to switch HDMI inputs between PCs. Not a one touch solution but it has been working for the last couple of years without any problems :-D
    Previously I had two 27" AOC monitors and this worked quite well except for stupid windows 7 always rearranging my icons randomly all over both screens of the extended desktop :mad
    The problem with the two monitors was if I wanted to watch a movie or play the Elder Scrolls series or the Fallout series or Bioshock series style games the the dynamic impact is lost with two monitors.
    On the other hand the single big monitor is great for these games and also really good for the creepy Dead Island, Metro and also for Dishonored and Fable III ;)

A lot of my ITAdmin work is done from my home office via Teamviewer and previously I used one monitor for the remote session and the other for local but now I just use the flip button on the mouse and change the focus between the remote session and local. With the single monitor, if I need to read something local and change something remote at the same time then I just split the screen and have them running side by side;)

The 40" Aquos works for me but if I did it again then I would get the 46" Aquos as it is the biggest screen that will physically fit on my desk :major

Here is a link to my monitor

@Adry you are 100% correct in that the text isn't quite as sharp but I use Micro$oft ClearType fonts and it is very acceptable ;)
    Have a read about ClearType here it is quite interesting
    Key point I nearly forgot to mention........ for ClearType to work effectively you need to run your display or panel in its "native resolution" as this is the only resolution where the software knows the exact location of every pixel ;)
    This took a while for me to work out hehehe rolleyes

9. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Through the school of hard knocks. For example, even if you didn't know about the usb to HDMI adapter:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=vga+to+hdmi&l=1

;)

10. Questioning1

Questioning1 Private E-2

Let me reiterate - this computer/monitor is just a living room entertainment center for playing music, tv shows, and movies. My real computer for productivity is in my bedroom.

The living room monitor will just be the largest I can find for $150 - $200. I merely want something a little more 'visitor-friendly' than the 22" currently in use. Its unlikely to be used much, hence my reluctance to spend higher, after picking up the $150 refurbished HP desktop for the living room.

11. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

12. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

In that case, use a TV.

13. rustysavage

What makes you think I didn't research it first? If you're going to be mean, then I'd prefer that you simply refrain from responding to my posts. Thanks

14. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I wasn't being mean.

That said if you want to learn, expect to encounter a little dry humor along the way. If you are too sensitive for that, then you might want another hobby, such as knitting.

Did you not notice the ;)?

That was the only site I could use to show you that the first hit in the results pulled up a possible solution. You asked how you would know, and I showed you. Lighten up.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2013
  15. rustysavage

OK, point taken. I recently started a thread about this very topic, namely,, is it OK to post questions without first scouring the web for hours, trying to separate the good info from the bad and ultimately ending up confused anyway. The consensus in that thread was "The only dumb question is the one that's not asked". Apparently, you don't share that sentiment, but rather believe that everyone should have to learn what they know via the "school of hard knocks". I guess that I'm somewhere between those two extremes. And for the record, I did google the VGA to HDMI query along with a bunch more. But it confused me more than helping me to understand the hardware being discussed in the thread. Consequently, I asked for an explanation. If that's not what a forum like this is designed to address then you necessarily alienate about 90+% of the members who, like me, are not hardware gurus. If you want to interact exclusively with others of your computing proficiency, why not start your own social club on the forum? You could require recruits to take a test to ascertain their computing proficiency and only allow into the club those individuals who pass muster.

And I still think you were being mean with that post. What you did wastextbook passive aggressive, and I think you're smart enough to know that.

16. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

You are right. The answer isn't always what we want though.

Everyone has to learn how to walk. They do it by trying, falling down, trying, falling down, until they figure it out. This is no different, and you will learn this. When you don't know something, then you head to the Internet and scour it to learn more. Right? School of hard knocks means you keep trying, despite initial failure or confusion. I am not sure what YOU thought it meant, however.

I did explain. That is how you find out, through experience or a lot of research. There is no magic pill to make you know, nor is there a book to teach you about everything with hardware and software.

Huh? I told you how you would find out if you didn't know. I gave you the precise steps as well. It is easy to give programming advice as you saw, but not something as vast as how to know what hardware you need.

No, I wasn't. You are being overly sensitive to a site that is created to emphasize that Google is great for answers. It is nothing personal. If you need us to handle you with kid gloves because you offend easy, let us know. I cannot read minds, and figure anyone who is on the Internet knows that tone of voice is impossible to convey with text. We try with emoticons, but people sometimes ignore that. So I apologize for offending you, that was not my intent.

17. Questioning1

Questioning1 Private E-2

Aside from the arguing, your answer is useless. The question was: will the following cheap monitors function as display devices on the following refurbished HP desktop running Win 7 Pro.

I've decided that $180 is my price point; a replacement for the 22" isn't worth any more to me than that. And it must be a minimum 26"; paying $175 to upgrade from 22" to 24" wouldn't be worth it [in my opinion as a shopper].

At the moment I'm searching pricegrabber, shopping.com , http://www.thefind.com , etc. I'm a careful shopper.

18. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Listen to what I posted: Two ways to use a TV with that computer, and with your needs, a TV would be best.

Did you not ask the differences? Did you not ask if it would be compatible? Did I not provide two possible answers?

A third one would be to get a cheap video card with HDMI.

If you want a, right now, as-is response, then no, it is not compatible.

I hope I was less useless to you this time.

19. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

180 total, or just the display?

20. rustysavage

Adrynalyne, first thing, thanks for the thoughtful detailed answer to my post. I think we just have differing views about learning in general and about what this forum is for in specific. So be it. Doesn't matter. I certainly don't want to end up on your "Ignore" list as you've been very helpful to me in the recent past and would like to keep communicating with you in the future. If you say that you didn't intend your post to be condescending or mean then I'll take you at your word. From now on I'll just remember to seriously do my homework before engaging you in the future. Fair enough?

21. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Deal.

And I am a moderator, I am not allowed to ignore people :p

Look me up (via PM, not this thread) if you need any future programming assistance.

22. Questioning1

Questioning1 Private E-2

One-hundred and eighty total for up to 27" or up to 200 for 32" or bigger. Its so easy to spend more than you should. I went bankrupt in 2005 and learned valuable lessons. I want this, but do not NEED it. 22" is small for a living room display. But I'm patient. I only needed to know whether either of the TV's would serve my need, since the price was right.

Thanks to all. :)

23. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds