Can installing a higher memory ruin a hard drive?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by siam317, Dec 1, 2006.

1. siam317

siam317 Private E-2

Is the Ultra 31664 1024 DDR PC3200 440MHZ compatible with my motherboard?

I researched and the Intel 845PE Chipset Supports up to DDR333 SDRAM memory for higher system performance.

I have a ASUS & Intel 845pe Motherboard, AMD Athlon tm XP 1800+ Model 8 computer. I bought an Ultra 31664 1024 DDR PC3200 400MHZ yesterday to upgrade my RAM. I have 2 256mb DDR PC2700 333MHZ memory sticks. I ran the system scanner from www.crucial.com and one of the recommendations was to use a 1024 memory DDR PC3200 400MHZ to upgrade. The option was my two current 256 mb's and the new 1024 mb.

2. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

I don't think your drive is ruined. Put your original RAM chips back in their original slots and leave the new stick out.
    Try unplugging your computer and removing the battery. Leave the battery out for about 5 minutes then put it back in. See if the BIOS resets.

3. siam317

siam317 Private E-2

I will do that...Thank you!

4. nitecrawler

nitecrawler Guest

No, 440mhz is not compatible with your mobo specs......

Your best bet is to rise in capacity and not timings, ie best to upgrade to 2x 512 mb of ddr333 ram, or 2x 1g if you deem necessary!

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1140

5. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

"No, 440mhz is not compatible with your mobo specs......"

Actually, the memory will clock down to 333Mhz, so that is NOT a problem. Secondly, PC 3200 memory is 400Mhz, so he probably just typed it wrong.

6. nitecrawler

nitecrawler Guest

mmm...Are you sure of this? 400 is correct but i bet the mobo dont go for it!

7. siam317

siam317 Private E-2

Thank you fall for your help! I took the computer to a repair shop to install the memory. Thanks again.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds