Can move the cursor but it does not select

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by talking777, Jun 19, 2010.

1. talking777

talking777 Private E-2

My Computer is: Dell Dimension 4600i Desktop 32 bit Windows XP SP3 (Home Edition) 2.5 GB Ram 70 GB HD drive 3.00 Ghz Pentium

I have a computer problem that I thought was caused by malware. After following the malware guide (Read & Run Me First) and getting a tremendous amount of help in the Malware Removal forum, I still have the problem and was told to try the Software or Hardware forum.

The problem is: I can move the cursor with the mouse, but there are times (more often than not) that I cannot select anything with mouse until the screen goes black for a second or two. Then the cursor/ mouse works fine. Also during the problem time if I am typing, what I am typing will not show up on the screen until the screen goes black for a second or two.

I can cause the screen to go black for a second or 2 and resolve the problem temporarily by (1) clicking/ selecting another screen (e.g. Internet Explorer, Word,...) and clicking/ selecting the original screen; or (2) clicking/ tapping the left mouse button, the right mouse button, and then the mouse/ scroll wheel.

Any suggestions how I can resolve this problem permanently?

Any help is much appreciated...

2. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

What your describing is computer lag it can be caused by many different things but I have found by far the most common is a poorly performing hard drive.

First go to add remove programs and remove any old programs you no longer need,leave any your unsure of.

You only have a 70gb HD which is fine as long as it isn't full so right click the drive and select properties and check how much free space you have free up some space by deleting old files such as large videos,old program files ect ect.,next download and run this to clean out all your temp files and clean your registry

http://majorgeeks.com/download4191.html

Once this is done right click the drive again and hit properties,tools and defrag your drive this can take a couple of hours.

The next step is to disable startup items and unneeded services,you can always restart the services again if you find you have lost any functionality but its wise to create a restore point before you start as an added backup.

Type msconfig in the run box and go to startup items,uncheck any that you don't want to load at start up don't disable services here yet though,now go to into control panel,admin tools,computer management,services and go through the list of services you do not wish to be running,start with the ones your sure of not related to Microsoft such as old program and utilities you no longer need,if your not sure leave them.

See how you get on with that and post back:)

3. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Looked at from that direction, when was your drive given a GOOD defragging?
    Will be lagging if having to search for different sections.

4. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
  5. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

MajorGeeks Malware Removal FAQ:
    How To Deal With Startup Processes:
    do not use msconfig

...took a few minutes to remember Where I saw this.

duuh :-o

P.S.
    The SysInternals stuff (Autoruns, Pagedefrag, Contig) are all very good.

6. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

While Msconfig isn't permanent startup program manager but it is still a useful tool when diagnosing phantom problem such as this,startup programs can be easily disabled without installing and learning to use additional software which could worsen the problem and once diagnostic mode is left the computer can be easily returned back to normal.

Maybe I did jump the gun a bit though,msconfig diagnostic can be left until the end of troubleshooting if the problem still persists after basic maintenance.

One thing I did leave out talking777,after each stage of basic maintenance use your computer to see if the problem persists,improves or worsens.

7. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

I personally prefer WinPatrol to keep an eye on my Startup programs listing.

8. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

Thanks. I'm going to check that out.

I failed to mention Startup CPL which is simpler, smaller and loads much faster than Autoruns.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
  9. talking777

talking777 Private E-2

Thank you for all your replies! It may be awhile before I implement some of your suggestions due to life... but I definitely appreciate all your help.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds