Can Mozilla Firefox be used with Dial-Up?

Discussion in 'Software' started by CaNoFzOo, Oct 22, 2005.

1. CaNoFzOo

CaNoFzOo Sergeant Major

I use AOL. But I'm tired of it, because it's stupid. I downloaded Mozilla Firefox, but it doesn't seem to be working. When I open it up and try to go on a web page a message pops up saying the operation timed out. I'm confused.

2. lil_bugger

lil_bugger Private E-2

Im on dialup, and firefox works fine for me, but im not too good with the technical side of firefox (ive only used it for a month or so), maybe someone else can tell you what to do

lil_bugger

3. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

AOL is both a browser and an ISP. Firefox is just a browser. To use Firefox, you probably have to open up AOL and connect, and then switch over to Firefox and use that with AOL is still open. You can minimize AOL, but don't close it because that will hang up your modem.

4. fiver22

fiver22 Sergeant

If AOL is your ISP then "da chicken" has the answer:

5. greenknight32

greenknight32 Sergeant

da chicken is right. I suggest you start shopping for a new ISP, though. You can get unlimited dial-up for a lot less than what you pay for AOL.

6. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

hello canofzoo, long time no hear from, drop in the lounge and say hello. aloha laurie

7. Brandon

Brandon controlmind

Switching too DSL from dial-up isnt the worst idea, since most DSL providers arnt that much a month. I use Yahoo DSL and its under $20 ... dont know about others.

Brandon

8. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

You guys in the States are spoilt when it comes to broadband. (And come to think of it, petrol or gasoline)

9. Ken3

Ken3 MajorGeek

I'm on Yahoo High speed Dial up and saw the ad for the Yahoo DSL, but it's not available in my area, but I'm getting 50 - 53.x on this 56k modem.

I'm also interested in this as question as well.

10. star17

star17 MajorGeek

Firefox will not go down in history as the fastest loading browser mankind has ever seen, which lends me to think it and dial-up aren't too compatible.

For kicks, I shut down my DSL access and swtiched to dial-up, and it took the browser 74 seconds to load my homepage :rolleyes:

11. greenknight32

greenknight32 Sergeant

By coincidence, I just stumbled upon a way to avoid the need to open AOL before launching Firefox:
    Configure AOL Dialer
    http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=1014752#1014752

star17 There's something wrong with your setup if it takes that long to load. Maybe you have some extensions that don't play nice with each other.

12. star17

star17 MajorGeek

Takes that long to load on the dial-up connection; takes 3.5 seconds to load on the DSL connection. Doubt anything is wrong there.

13. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

I would be tempted to try Opera as well Cano, its now free and only in my observations i feel its quicker that FF, not to diss FF as I use it... but Opera seems quicker.

Try the two out as see which you like best as its alwasy nice to have choices :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds