Can not access USB flash drive.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by UnNaMeD__, Aug 9, 2013.

1. UnNaMeD__

UnNaMeD__ Private E-2

I have Toshiba 16GB USB flash drive. It was working fine but suddenly it stopped. When every i plug it, it says that i have to format it before i can use it. I cant run check disk on usb even in safe mode. Please help me i have my important data in it.

2. Dumb_Question

Dumb_Question Sergeant Major

What model is it ?
    Have you tried it in a different computer ?

Dumb_Question
    9.August.2013

3. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

Also, what version of Windows are you running and have you tried plugging the flash drive into different USB ports on your computer? Sometimes this type of problem is caused by the drive letter assigned to the flash drive by Windows.

4. UnNaMeD__

UnNaMeD__ Private E-2

I am running windows 7 ultimate. I tired using on other 3 computers (vista+XP+windows 8) but no luck. And its full name is "16GB Toshiba TransMemory™ U2M USB Flash Drive"
    Can be found here: http://www.toshiba-memory.com/en/usb_drives.html
    I have tried changing drive letter to few others but didn't worked.

5. mdonah

Have you tried using Device Manager?

With the flash drive plugged in, open Device Manager and expand Universal Serial Bus controllers by clicking on the "+" sign to the left. Right click on the USB Mass Storage Device that shows in the list and select uninstall. Click "OK" in the Confirm Device removal box that comes up and wait for it to finish uninstalling the device. Pull the flash drive, close Device Manager and then plug the flash drive back in. It should properly install and be accessible.

If this doesn't solve the issue, then I'm afraid there may be something awry with the flash drive itself.

6. UnNaMeD__

UnNaMeD__ Private E-2

I already tried it but again did. Didn't worked.

I opened flash drive and every thing is fine and clean inside.
    After being sad I tried "format" to see format window opens. But what??? format window didn't opened for flash drive. Any suggestion? is flash drive totally dead?

7. mdonah

It might be, but there's the chance to recover your files from the flash drive. Go to this site. It lists 6 file recovery software options. Some are paid, some are free, some use a GUI and some use a command line interface (if you're comfortable with that).

Hopefully, you'll be able to recover your files and transfer them to a new flash drive. :)

FWIW, I use Kingston Data travelers.

8. UnNaMeD__

UnNaMeD__ Private E-2

Used 5 of them. and they cant :/ :yum

Anyway thanks for your replies dude. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds