Can not access Windows Updates, Admin Only error

Discussion in 'Software' started by GFH, Apr 23, 2004.

1. GFH

GFH Private E-2

OK, I've just about exhausted everything I or anybody else knows, even after the initial response the MS folks don't respond anymore.

Each and every time I try to use WINDOWS UPDATE, it begins to check for updates and then comes back with this

------------------

Administrators Only

To install items from Windows Update, you must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may also prevent you from completing this procedure.

Note If you are running a Windows 2000 (except DataCenter), Windows XP, or Windows Server 2003 operating system, you can run the local administrator account on your computer without having to log off and then log on again.

To run as the local administrator in Windows XP or Windows Server 2003:

Click Start, and then click All Programs (or right-click Windows Update if it is available).
    Right-click Windows Update.
    Click Run as on the menu that appears.
    Do one of the following:
    Enter the password for the administrator.
    Enter the user name, domain name, and password of a different user account that has administrative permissions on this computer.

To run as the local administrator in Windows 2000:

Click Start, right-click Windows Update, and then click Run As on the menu that appears.
    Do one of the following:
    Enter the password for the administrator.
    Enter the user name, domain name, and password of a different user account that has administrative permissions on this computer.

If the option to run as the local administrator is not available:

Click Start, right-click Windows Update, and then click Properties.
    Click the Shortcut tab, and then select the Run as different user check box

---------------

I am and always have been running WIN98SE for which I understand there is no Administrator, besides this is my own machine, no network no nothing.

I have run HJT, Adaware, spybot, CWshredder, Norton AV, Symantec, Fprot and half a dozen others. I have reinstalled the OS and IE6.0.

I have gone thru all the listed errors on the MS site and none match. The ones that come close relate to WIN2000 and on not 98 and the suggested fixes either don't work or can't be done in 98.

My update log shows one error (0x800C0008) but it again relates to WIN2000 which I do not have.

I am also unable to get to www.microsoft.com I get a

GATEWAY TIMEOUT, Server unreachable contact the administrator
    Just to confuse the issue, I was for one brief visit able to get to the microsoft site but I closed out of it to see if I could get back and I could not.

Does anyone have a hint of what's going on.

many thanks

Board: Acer Intel 440BX and PX4M -1
    BIOS: ACER V3.0 R01-A4D-EN 03/21/2000
    500 megahertz Intel Celeron
    32 kilobyte primary memory cache
    128 kilobyte secondary memory cache
    Windows 98 SE (build 4.10.2222)
    Internet Explorer Version 6.00.2800.1106 *

need anything else?

2. billH

billH Master Sergeant

Hi GFH :) I googled around a bit and found this which might be an answer for you. It sems to point to a way to get around the Win Update stopping point. The fifh post down the list looks to be the most worth checking ou, but I'd look at all of the posts to get a sense of what's going on.
    Good luck
    Bill

3. alanc

alanc MajorGeek

From Bill's link I found the following here: http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/

Post back and let us know if this worked :)

4. billH

billH Master Sergeant

Thanks Alan. I looked at the trouble shooter link but didn't follow it. Glad you did. Much better soultion,
    Bill

5. GFH

GFH Private E-2

HI Allan and Bill,

I saw one and tried it and it didn't solve the problem.

The error on that link is close but not the same message. I went thru it anyways.

As far as the edits to my registry, I tried that as well but I do not have those registry entries It ends at POLICIES with NETWORK and RATINGS as Subfolders but each of the three folders are empty with no options as you describe.

So I am still stuck.

I did order the update CD's and that is what MS suggested, but I got a little ticked with them as I don't want to wait 6 weeks for the CD and then what happens with the 6876 thousand updates they produce in those 6 weeks,order a another CD...

I
    Thanks for trying

Last edited: Apr 24, 2004
  6. alanc

alanc MajorGeek

OK, some more ideas from MS:

To access the Windows Update Web site, delete all the values except Default under each of the following registry keys, and then restart your computer:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsUpdate\LocalURL

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsUpdate\RemoteURL

Note: You may not find all the registry keys listed here.

7. Janiebird

Janiebird Private E-2

Janiebird

Having same problems, plus others. Can not receive my updates because of Admin, problem.
    Discovered I have a Trojan, nkvd.us/1521 crawling around..

Hope you do not have it, but your problems sound identical.

Right now I am in Limbo,,,ran Cwspredder, can not install Windows sp1a, blocks, install of Registry Manager,.

Good Luck....maybe the Guru's can help you and me both....

My McAfee is corrupted, firewall down,,,,no update from WIndows,,,what else can happen

Thought Cwspredder would fix all this.

Janiebird

8. jujet84

jujet84 Master Sergeant

9. jujet84

jujet84 Master Sergeant

as far as janiebird you have to remove it in safemode :cool:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds