can not boot new build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BILLMCC66, Apr 11, 2009.

1. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

OK guys n gals i have a teaser for you.
    I have built a new PC with,

Mobo ABIT IX38 GT3
    CPU intel core 2 duo Q6700
    GPU GTX 260
    Ram DDR3 2X4gb
    DVD read/write

I am also using some older parts.

300gb hard drive
    40gb hard drive (for OS) both Seagate IDE
    CD reader

when i power up the PC all the fans spin up and all the right lights come on but i can not get it to boot because it is not seeing my CD or DVD units.
    Both units are IDE connections as are both Hard drive and the Mobo only has 1 IDE connector so i installed the HD as master and DVD as slave but for some reason it sees all the other components but not the optical drives.
    I have tried every combination possible including changing the jumper settings but at no point does it see them.
    The DVD is brand new and the CD was working perfectly in the old PC.
    I have been at this now for 3 days and still can not get past the screen that says Disk boot failure - insert disk and press enter.

I can get into the Bios set up and have changed the boot order but to no avail, so any help on the subject will be received with gratitude.

2. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

Thanks for the reply Digital, that's exactly what i mean.
    When i say it can not see the drives i mean that when bios opens the CPU is there the GPU and the hard drive but it does not show the DVD.

3. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

Over the last 3 days i have tried just about every combination but nothing works.

To be really honest i have decided to get some SATA gear but i won't be able to get to the shop until tuesday or wednesday and had hoped to get something out of it before then.
    Thanks for your input and if it works next week i will post.

4. tym

tym Corporal

Have you tried to replace the Ide ribbon itself. I have seen them go bad.

You may also try to hook up just one drive and see how that goes. First try the dvd player with the cd disconected, and vice versa.

It seems odd that your mobo only has one IDE connector. There should be a second ide connector for the DVD drives?

If I understand you right, your trying to hook both the harddrive and the Dvd player into the same ribbon and to the motherboard? I have never seen this done before, Not saying its not possible but I sure dont think it is. But again I could be wrong.

With all due respect you may want to take another look at your motherboard to make sure you simply did not overlook the ide connection for the DVD player.

5. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

Hi TYM yes i have tried all the different combinations, at the moment i am trying to get the system to boot with just 1 HD(master) and 1DVD(slave)

On the Mobo the IDE is at the bottom next to the SATA connectors and the second one that you can see on the left side is for Floppy but the pin configuration is not the same and an IDE strap will not fit in it.

I have 3 straps and have tried all of them with the same result.

[​IMG]

6. jlphlp

jlphlp Master Sergeant

Hi Bill,

Just a thought and I'm sure you know this. Some IDE cables do M/S only. Some do CS only. Some do Both. Some run one drive plugged for master OK but give up if you add one plugged as Slave. Have you tried CS on both drives, Master at the end?

Good Luck, Jim

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  7. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

I have managed to get it to boot with Barts PE and although i can not load an OS at least i know it will boot.
    Later this week i will get some drives with SATA and hope it sorts the problem.

As for Barts PE i am not sure how much i can do with it because i have never used it before?

8. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Bill

Do you have any spare that could be wiped clean USB pens in the 4GB+ range or an external HDD that could be used? Kinda also need to know if your mobo bios has the option to boot to USB?

The random weird thought for monday I have is based on a flat install of the OS, however you need the USB drive to be bootable, and this info for making the USB drive bootable using Diskpart.

Worth a go Bill if your at a loose end today :) I've used flat installs in the past but not this method yet.

9. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

Hi David
    I neglected to mention in the post that i loaded Barts from a flash drive :-o

The problem is i put together the system with new Mobo and all the bits but in thinking i would save a little cost i used my old HDD 1X40gb for the OS and 1X300 for the rest, I also have a new DVD read/write and my old CD player,these 4 units are all IDE connectors.
    The mobo has only 1 IDE so i used the 40gb HD and the DVD on one cable but no matter what combination i used it would not see the DVD so i can not install the OS.
    I can get into the Bios because the start up screen is from my mobo and it lets me into setup.
    I have been trying to get either Vista or XP to boot from a flash drive with the help of Barts, it will let me read all the files and applications but it will not let me boot from it?

Today is Easter Monday here so no shops open and tomorrow is physiotherapy day, after those thugs have finished with me i don't usually fell like doing much at all, so it will be later in the week before i can get to the PC dealer for some SATA replacements.
    My mobo does allow USB input as i said i booted Barts from there.
    I will look at the other link you gave me and try that.
    I just hope it is nothing more sinister than the IDE versus SATA for the DVD.
    Thanks for looking into it for me.
    Bill

10. DavidGP

Hi Bill

Didnt put barts with USB route to booting sorry, just wiped a 4GB USB pen of mine and going through the steps listed, actually very quick to create this route, do need to use List Disk to locate the USBs disk number and then edit the xcopy line to take into account the drive letters for the drives.

So if you can boot to barts, you should be able to boot to this what is basically the Windows installer cd/dvd on USB. Just dont do what I just did and try and copy 4.36GB of data to a 4GB usb pen, forgot the version I was using was x64, x86 shoudl fit on 4GB ok.... EDIT: finished copying files and x64 saved to a 4GB pen ok,

Unhook the CD and just have HD in then boot to USB and see if Windows installs from this route, if it does then hook up CD and see if its recognised, but yes likely to have better luck going SATA with the HDs.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  11. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

Just one thing i do not understand, when it says use xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ is that going to copy my "D" partition or should i select "E" which is the DVD on my machine?

12. DavidGP

Hi Bill

xcopy d: and d is cd drive if not change it to the drive letter of the cd drive and the final one in e:\ should be the drive letter of you USB pen.

so for example I had to change my string to xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f i:\ easy way to tell is open Computer up and with USB pen in the slot, see what drive letter its using and change in the string above. The first drive letter is the read device its the back end one you need to get really right in being your USB pens drive letter.

so yours will likely be xcopy e:\*.* /s/e/f ?:\ ? = USB drive letter.

13. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

Thanks David

14. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

I have tried to get this to copy but to no avail?
    All the rest of the steps went OK but it will not copy.

Attached Files:

15. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

I have tried 4 different flash drives and i keep getting the same result when i try to select a partition, 2 flash drives are 4gb and 2 are 8gb they were all formatted before i used them in "diskpart" ???

Attached Files:

16. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

Thanks Digital i will try anything at the moment.
    I have even tried to load from a usb hard drive but it just locks up the PC.
    It will be a bit later when i get to the store for some Sata gear as things at home have precedence and i can not get out without my wife (the money monster) due to disability.

When i finally get it up and running i will post the results.

17. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

That's good Bill, but just stick to SATA drives and ignore any shiny i7 boards being offered to you by your friendly shop owner.;):-D Let's see what that shiny new rig can do!:drool:cool

18. DavidGP

Hi Bill

Likely cause is in your first images your copying for F to F and that wont work sadly, easiest to plug in the USB drive in your working PC and clcik Computer and see what drive is listed, if its F then your CD/DVD must be a different letter.

So if CD is E and USB is F then the below is the string

xcopy e:\*.* /s/e/f f:\

But definatly try with SATA drives and remove the IDE HDD first, before installing Windows.

19. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

I think the GTX 260 is burnt out because the fans will not run and my screen tells me there is no sync.
    so i will have to get it tested.
    I could do it myself in my other PC but it's running so well i don't want to play with it untill this new build is up and running.

20. augiedoggie

Did you plug in your 6-pin power plugs? Sometimes one forgets.:-o

21. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

Sure did Augie but there has to be another problem somwhere.
    I took it to the shop and had it tested but it is dead.
    I bought a GTX 250 and put that in plus 2 SATA units and it started to boot then the screen went black so further investigation is needed.
    Now when i boot all the fans start up but i can get no screen (not even BIOs)

22. augiedoggie

Geez man, you have to be the unluckiest... At least it's all under warranty.:) BTW, the 250 is just a rebranded 9800GT like I have, perhaps factory OC'd. nVidia's marketing department is working overtime.:(

23. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

That is the story of my life Augi, if i did not have bad luck i would have no luck at all!!!!
    I am going to strip the whole thing down again and start over just to see if i missed anything?:cry:cry

24. DavidGP

Hey Bill

Have you got this PC working ok yet? just dont want to forget the issue you have had and leave you without any new ideas if any.

25. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

Hi David
    I have got it working now, thanks for remembering me.

It turned out to be a really silly thing that does not immediately come to mind when searching for solutions, The graphics card did not sit exactly central where the plug comes out of the back of the PC and when i connect my screen to it the female did not seat fully and 1 pin was shorting on the chassis, so after 3 complete strip downs and re builds i finally spotted it.
    So the PC was working perfectly i just could not see it.
    I am feeling just a little foolish that it cost me 3 days and a lot of cursing.

I am just waiting for the 5th may and i can try windows 7 RC, I read your thoughts on it and it sounds excellent.

26. DavidGP

Cool glad its now working Bill and indeed the small things are always the ones we forget to check, nah not foolish just another learning point on what to check for in future, cannot remember everything.

Did use that method for installing the RC from USB and worked perfectly, just need to at first reboot of PC to quickly enter BIOS and change boot order back to 1st HDD, as it tries to loop with an install again, but even with this small step the install was in <20mins.

27. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

No i didn't need to use that method when i finally got it to work because i bought a new copy of Vista and it installed without a hitch from the optical drive.
    When i got a screen i just set the bios to boot from disk and after installation i reset it to boot from the hard drive.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds