Can Not Download Windows Updates.

Discussion in 'Software' started by andybe, Jan 11, 2016.

1. andybe

andybe Private E-2

Windows 7 machine. 32 bit.
    Was downloading and installing fine windows updates fine. Now i can not download. The green status bar moves from left to right but the message remains at 0KB total , 0% complete
    I have internet access, machine seems to be working ok.

I completed the http://forums.majorgeeks.com/index....ide-incl-spyware-virus-trojan-hijacker.35407/

I was told all my logs were clean and to post in this forum.

Not sure what is going on. anyone seen this before?

thanks
    andy

2. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

3. andybe

andybe Private E-2

Thanks. I ran the troubleshooting. I get problems that were not fixed

1. Service Registration is missing or corrupt
    2. Windows update error 0x80070057(2016-01-11-T-01_58_37P)

i am about to scan the disk for corrupt files

4. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

I would run sfc /scannow
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/929833
    That may fix it, otherwise there are manual reset options in this thread lower down:
    https://social.technet.microsoft.co...-update-error-0x80070057?forum=w7itprogeneral
    That states:
    [​IMG]

See here:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I've waited 45 minutes to an hour on a 32 Win 7 Pro computer for anything to happen.
    Sometimes Windows updates in 7 is extremely slow. It's been this way since about October at my home. We have four Win 7 computers and have a fast internet connection. It is the MS servers.

Just walk away from the computer and do something else. It will eventually download.

6. andybe

andybe Private E-2

i ran sfc /scannow - it found nothing
    i tried the regedit but i dont have the last folder "WindowsUpdate" so i couldnt complete it
    i tried the "silverlight fix". Not applicable anymore since the checkbox option isnt present.
    I have run the Microsoft fix it tool - both of them. The second time i ran it the "Service Registration is missing or corrupt" error is fixed, but the other update error still remains.
    I have had this looking for updates overnight - 10 hours or so. it just hangs.

I also downloaded this tool (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/947821) which is meant to fix update error. This tool when run just hangs.

A little mystified as to the problem!

7. plodr

There was an optional update in early December KB3112343. This is an update for the update client. I had it hidden because I suspected it would force a Win 10 upgrade onto the computer. After gathering more information, I found out it was afe to install and installed this sometime after Dec. 16th.

Download and install this. It might reduce the wait time.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=50031

Next, please post the 5 updates you are not able to install and I will do some looking. Some updates need to be installed before others.

8. andybe

andybe Private E-2

@plodr couldn't install it. it just hung.
    i have since done a clean boot https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135.
    i have tried to run windows update but now it sits there searching. I also now see that according to windows update i have never installed updates and never checked for them.

In the "view update history" there are many many that have failed.

So on 11/29/2015 updates were installed ok.
    on 12/14/2015 was when the failures started. "Definition update for endpoint protection KB2461484"
    on 12/15/2015 Def update for office 2010 KB3114412
    then yesterday there was some success installing updates (but no the ones above.) Mostly .net framework 3.5.1 and 4 updates plus a few others (security update KB2621440, office 2010 KB2791057, System center endpoint protection KB2952678, December malicious removal tool KB890830)

then after this lot were installed i had a succession of over 100 fail. the first few were
    security updates: KB 2503665, KB2536275, KB2807986

thanks for looking into this.

i should also let you know that sometime in November 2015 i had a similar issue with updates not installing. My solution was to just reformat the hard drive, reinstalled window 7, and start installing updates again. All went well until mid december

9. plodr

Well endpoint protection raises a red flag. Some poster elsewhere had a problem and endpoint protection was on the computer.

Another thing that makes no sense is that updates were installed on Nov. 29th. Next you say over 100 updates failed. There weren't 100 updates between the end of November and up to today's Patch Tuesday. So I have no idea where these 100 updates are coming from.

I say at this point wipe and reinstall again. Does the Win 7 disk you are using include SP1?

When you search for updates after the install are you installing them by time frame rather than just letting the computer install all of them?

10. andybe

andybe Private E-2

I think the 100+updates stem from the fact that the machine was recently wiped and win 7 reinstalled. So all of these updates were just catching up from the SP1 update. I think i remember that windows update said there were ~300 updates available.

No i am not installing by time frame, i am letting windows update decide. That is what i have always done when i have rebuilt machines and never had a problem. Of course most of these were with XP and older machines. Only a few with windows 7. But in the future i will do as you are suggesting.

So before i do a clean install, which i am happy to do, i think i may uninstall endpoint protection and a few other updates and then run the fix it tool again. I'd rather try to see if i can pinpoint the issue before throwing my hands in the air. It is my personal machine so it is only my time i am wasting ;)
    thanks again

11. plodr

That sounds like a good plan.
    Since I have time, I usually try to see if I can solve a problem before I'd resort to a wipe.

12. toehead410

toehead410 Corporal

Does anyone know if this issue was resolved? It sounds to me like exactly the same issue I am having now. A second reinstallation of Windows 7 did not correct my issue. ago, I posted a new thread about it her at MG.

13. toehead410

toehead410 Corporal

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds