Can not flash BIOS on Dell D620

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by newbieputerbuf, Nov 2, 2014.

1. newbieputerbuf

newbieputerbuf Private E-2

I downloaded the latest BIOS flash (D620_A10.EXE)from the Dell website and when I go to run it, it comes up with an error - "D620_A10.EXE has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.". First time it happened, I got a different error and thought it might be AVG that was blocking it - so I shut down AVG, made sure Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware were also not running. Still can't get it installed. I'd really like to get it flash, as I was hoping for maybe better performance.

Thanks in advance!

2. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

3. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

Restart the computer and press F2 to enter Setup. See what version it's running. If it's already running A10 (or later), the flash won't overwrite it.

4. newbieputerbuf

Service Pack 3 and A08 is installed

5. newbieputerbuf

Win XP with Service Pack 3 - Does the SSD drive directly replace the internal HDD, using the same slot? I've already got the RAM in my Newegg shopping cart, but waiting to understand a little more about the SSD

6. the mekanic

For starters, XP is no longer supported by Microsoft and without updates and support still using it is at your own risk.

If you want to properly upgrade this laptop I recommend not only the SSD if you are looking to speed it up, I recommend upgrading to Windows 7.

The BIOS upgrade is not necessary, nor will you see any gains from it.

7. mdonah

Yes, the SSD would directly replace the current hard drive. Just make sure to get a 2.5" IDE/PATA drive not a SATA one. The SATA one wouldn't work in the HDD caddy or with XP (XP doesn't natively support SATA).

8. the mekanic

His PC has a SATA drive. Later iterations of XP had SATA drivers preloaded especially when it was a Vista downgrade.

9. mdonah

Sorry. :-o It's from the same time period as my Precision M70 which has PATA.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds