can not write to c drive

Discussion in 'Software' started by moif, Nov 20, 2004.

1. moif

moif Private E-2

I got a blue screen with the warning--error, can not write to c drive, hit any key to continue. This happened 3 times followed by freeze-ups. Booted into safe mode and ran AVG-ADAWARE-SPYBOT-CRAPCLEANER. I`m asking if this is a warning my hard drive is starting to fail.
    DELL 4100
    PENT.3 1GHZ
    256RAM
    20G HDD
    WINDOWS ME
    So far the operation is normal.
    Thanks. moif

2. snakefoot

snakefoot Sergeant Major

Probably a good idea to run scandisk, then use Chkdsk to see if any bad sectors have been registered.

3. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

I'd backup your stuff asap, if I were you. Just in case. Baz

===

4. Ed B

Ed B Private E-2

This happened to me recently and I had to reinstall my OS because of it. I had gotten 3 or 4 of these 'blue screens' before I found out what was happening, but I think there is a high likelihood of damaged files from only one.

The cause of mine turned out to be a loose connection in the ribbon cable connecting the HD to the MB. Actually, I was using some poor quality removable racks (so I could easily exchange HDs) and the loose connection originated in a sub-standard connector between the removable rack and the channel it goes into.

By all means, back up all your data asap. But the cause may be a loose ribbon connector on the HD or MB.

Hope this helps, Ed B

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds