Can problems with dial-up number providers affect speed on internet?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sheena, Jul 13, 2011.

1. sheena

sheena Corporal

Hi.
    Recently upgraded to Firefox 5 from 3.5. Initially, this new version went much faster so decided to keep it. But in a short while it became slow also. My isp has been changing dial-up numbers and has been having problems with them. I was told by my isp that one of the new numbers went completely out but was back,. Just now when I tried to connect via that number I received a message saying " PPP link protocol terminated. error number 734". When I tried again I was given a lower than usual speed, so disconnected and got on at regular speed using an older number that my isp had told me was no longer working, along with some others. [that was at the time they gave me a bunch of newer nos.including the one they had so much trouble with.]I am wondering what is going on, and if problems with the providers of these dial-up numbers could be causing the slowness, rather than anything having to do with my computer or browser?
    Thanks.
    Sheena

2. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

The first thing I would do is contact your provider's tech support via phone. Although it's been a while since I used dial-up, I do remember that some dial-up service providers required the user to change certain modem settings on their PC to connect properly. The exact changes vary depending on the service provider; this is why I would call them and have them walk you through the process.

If this fails to solve the problem, look around for a different dial-up service provider. Many offer a 30-day free trial - if the new one works better, cancel the old one.

Hope this helps. :)

3. sheena

sheena Corporal

Gman,
    I already contacted my isp, they don't always tell us when they have problems;everything is always supposed to be okay. My settings however, are all ok. That isn't the problem. I don't like to change isps, esp not the one I have had for years. Overall its been good. Changing is a hassle, and often the problem persists. What I really want to know is can problems with the phone lines cause the modem to slow down. I have asked this question about six different ways and times on this site to no avail. Not your fault, and I appreciate that you answered me and thank you. I realize it isn't a complex question, but we can't all custom build our own computers.
    Sheena

4. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

The simple answer is yes, problems with a phone line can cause a dial-up connection to slow down. If the modem detects static or line noise, it will automatically drop the connection speed in order to avoid data loss.

If your connection seems to get slower over time, try disconnecting and reconnecting (redialing) if possible. Doing this will reset the modem speed back to the maximum.

If you're hearing static, hum or other noises when you make a voice call, it's a sign of phone line trouble that is likely slowing down your dial-up connection. If this is the case, call your phone company and ask them to do a line test - with US phone companies such as AT&T, this is usually a free service.

Beyond this, you'll run into finger pointing: The phone company will blame the ISP for the speed issues and vice versa. I know this isn't the answer you were hoping for; however it is the truth.

5. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

I told you that yesterday sheena because you said that you have a hiss or whatever noise it is. Contact your phone company first! Good luck, I'm out of here.rolleyes

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  6. sheena

sheena Corporal

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually,gman, this is exactly the answer I was looking for. This is what I suspected, but being technically challenged I wanted someone on this forum to verify it for me. I have been dealing with my phone company, which is doing just what you said, while the problem has continued. I just made a complaint with the FCC, which they felt was justified.
    I am guilty of bad form in these posts. I am sorry. I have just been ill tempered because of a constant headache, my eyeball was so swollen yesterday thought I would need to go to er. Have been having health problems and was anxious to get on computer and research them, hardly possible with the super slow speeds. Never an excuse, but did want to explain the frustration.
    Sheena

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds