Can Receive but not send in Outlook Express 6

Discussion in 'Software' started by cindyw9, Feb 23, 2005.

1. cindyw9

cindyw9 Private E-2

I am trying to help out my brother with an email problem. He can receive email, but not send them. He has a Compac with XP and Outlook Express as his email program. I have uninstalled Outlook and reinstalled it. I've also deleted his account (under tools) and then reinstalled it. I am sure that it is set up correctly. He has SBC Ameritech DSL as his provider. Everything worked fine up to a few days ago and then it just stopped sending. I also ran Spybot and while it found 2 "concerns" it did not solve the problem. I also ran CrapCleaner which cleaned all the crap, but did not solve the problem. Norton came up clean as well. I can't think of anything else to do!!! Any ideas?

2. netzach

netzach Private E-2

The most obvious culprit is the Outbound (SMTP) Server. Call up Ameritech and make /sure/ the SMTP settings are correct.

Also (and this is kind of a long shot) is the system currently hooked to the Ameritech DSL line? Most ISPs these days check to make sure you're coming in from one of their IP addresses before they will accept outbound mail traffic.

bestRegards, Guy.

3. daemonchild

daemonchild Private E-2

Hey,

I just had the same problem not two days ago. We also have SBC DSL. We have a separate email account. Here's what I found out...

We couldn't narrow down where the glitch was coming from, but I did find out if the outgoing server is hit too far too fast too soon it will shut down "send email" if it thinks you are sending spam.

We waited a few days, then reset to the following settings:

Under the properties tab:

Incoming POP3 (whatever yours is)
    Outgoing: smtp.sbcglobal.yahoo.com
    Incoming: username & password for that email account
    Make sure the remember password box is checked.
    Outgoing Mail server: check the box that says "my server requires..."
    Click on properties.

Here is where you enter your sbc account information.

Logon using xxxx@sbcglobal.net
    And then enter your SBC password.

It should fix. We had to change our settings in order to send mail.

If that doesn't work, I previously called SBC and found out that if you don't have their premier service you can't use Outlook with the Yahoo! account. Which I'm assuming doesn't apply in your case because he can receive.

Hope that helps!!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2005

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds