Can websites set up a new connection?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Alex30, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Alex30

Alex30 Private First Class

Hi,

I use a broadband connection via the phone line {does that make it DSL or ADSL ?} Anyway I wondered if premium rate websites are able to reconnect me to their number and start charging for the connection and if so can I do anything to prevent this? I believe they are 08 and 09 numbers here in the UK.

Regards Alex.

2. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

They could only connect you to their number(s) via a dial-up modem, not via ADSL - that can only connect via your ISP's 'pipes'.

If you have a dial-up modem, disconnect the wire :)

3. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

It can not be done with DSL.

DSL/ADSL just use the cable not the telephone line per-se, the 'infusion' of the Internet to the cable has to be done at the Telco. phyiscal connection.

4. Alex30

Alex30 Private First Class

Hi,

Thanks cat5e and satrow, Question answered. It was that I had some 08 and 09 numbers cropping up on my Sky telephone bill. I reckon they must be from when I phoned the Sky helpline.

Regards Alex.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds