Can Word 2000 open Word 2007 documents?

Discussion in 'Software' started by frybo30, Sep 26, 2011.

1. frybo30

frybo30 Master Sergeant

I just bought this laptop, which comes with Office 2010 Starter. For those who don't know, the "Starter" means that you have to buy the product key in order to activate the Office programs. Well, I have lots of documents in Word 2007, but I don't have the installation disk for Office 2007 anymore. I also have plenty of documents in Word 2000, and I do have the installation disk for Office 2000. Will 2000 work okay with 2007 stuff? Thanks for any help.

2. Metalhed

Metalhed Private E-2

They don't go 'backwards,' meaning that you will need to get a compatibility pack. Here's a link.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word-help/redir/DC010205246.aspx?CTT=5&origin=HA010044473

LOL I have the same problem, but I downloaded Open Office.org and found it to address 99% of my needs. Free and it runs Office, Excel, Powerpoint, etc. They aren't exactly perfect but if you start a doc in one of these, you can finish it up in the MS Office version. Best of all, it was free. Good luck! Glad to be able to help and give back a little to this fantastic community that has saved me TONS of $$ and time (the gray hairs I blame on the computer!!) ;)

3. frybo30

frybo30 Master Sergeant

That was a terrific answer to my question, Metalhed. Thanks so much. I've heard of Open Office. I'll check it out.

4. Metalhed

Metalhed Private E-2

You're welcome; like I said, happy to give back. Good karma. ;-)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds