Can XP and Vista co-exist on Wireless Network?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by earthlingbob, Feb 1, 2009.

1. earthlingbob

earthlingbob Private E-2

I have a Compaq Presario SR5350F, E2160 Dual-Core processor, 2Gb RAM using SpeedStream 4100 DSL modem connecting to Yahoo (SBCGlobal.Net 1.5 Gz version) running under Vista Home Premium. I acquired a Gateway Pentium 4 2 Gz system running XPSP2 which I am going to attempt connecting via a Belkins 802.11G wireless router with my DSL and a USA Seller wireless card ordered via eBay yesterday.

My question is in two parts and please bare with me since this is my first posting:

1: Is there going to be a problem using the two operating systems when attempting to connect to Yahoo?

2: Will I need a second wireless card to establish a LAN?

2. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

youll be fine with what you have. however, vista doesnt like unsecured wireless networks, so make sure to at least enable wep for wireless security.

3. earthlingbob

earthlingbob Private E-2

Thanks Steve I will enable wep and am grateful for both your response and that I don't need more hardware or software upgrades to do both the internet and Lan!

4. FighterJetMom

FighterJetMom Private First Class

I'm only moderately tech-y and I have a home wireless network consisting of an XP machine, two Vista machines, a Windows 2000 machine (!!), and an XBox 360. My ISP is Comcast and it was surprising easy to get it to talk to my router. ;)

5. earthlingbob

earthlingbob Private E-2

I appreciate the input and believe you and Steve have lowered my anxiety which I would compare to an expectant father wanting what's about to happen but not knowing exactly what it will be!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds