Can You Change A Burner's Write Speed?

Discussion in 'Software' started by RGW, Jul 21, 2007.

1. RGW

RGW Private E-2

I'm trying to burn some VCDs, and I know that I should keep the write speed slow. However, I only get two options, Max and one other, when I finalize. Is there a way to get a slower speed or are you stuck with how the CD burner was programmed?

2. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

What program are you using to burn? With Nero (and most others that I've used), the write speed is plainly shown in the window right before Nero starts the actual burning process. And you're right; when burning VCD's, always burn at 8x or slower (I use 4x; it takes some time, but the resulting quality is worth it!)... so- please post the name of your burning app and we'll try to help you out ;)

hd2k

3. RGW

RGW Private E-2

Yes, I'm using a free demo of Nero I downloaded. I only saw two options, Max and something else, the first time I tried it.

4. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

With Nero, there should be a burn speed option, after you add files and then click next. This will be the same page that has the burn button on the bottom right.
    Edit: Opps, I just repeated what hopperdave2000 said. rolleyes

5. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

The burn speed for Nero is right in the middle of the window that shows up right before you click next to start the actual burning. Your CDRW drive will be listed at the top, and the burn speed is right in the middle. You should be able to click the little downward pointing arrow and select your speed. If you can't, maybe contact Nero's help site, or visit your burner's manufacturer's web site and see what's up. Try a different burning app and see if it does the same thing. If it does, the problem is most likely in the drive, not the software. Try this: http://www.majorgeeks.com/CDBurnerXP_d4242.html It's free and does almost everything Nero does (except VCD's and movie/video DVD's :( )... if burning VCD's from .bin/cue files, I'm pretty sure that BurnAtOnce will burn 'em; link: http://www.majorgeeks.com/burnatonce_d3992.html Good luck, and keep us posted!

hd2k

6. RGW

RGW Private E-2

Ok....Under Recording Settings, Under speed there are two options: MAX and 48X (7200 KB/s).

Another question, do you need a special CD-R to make a SVCD?

7. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

Doesn't apply for what you are asking, but the max speed is pretty much dictated by the computer CPU, RAM speed, HD speed, as well as the base speed of the burner itself.

I use Roxio Easy CD Creator/DVD Editor, which has those options standard.

8. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

-No- Any CD-R will work. As for Nero not offering other burn speeds... have you tried a different burning application just to see if it offers other speeds? I linked to some above. Maybe uninstall Nero using the Nero clean tool available as a free download from here- for Nero6 and Nero7: http://www.nero.com/nero7/enu/Nero_6_CleanTool.html for NeroVision Express: http://www.nero.com/nero7/enu/NeroVision_Expres_CleanTool.html
    After running the tool, reboot the PC, and re-install Nero. If installing from a downloaded file, maybe burn it to a CD and install from the CDRW drive; that way maybe Nero will 'see' the drive correctly as it installs. It may not make a difference, but it's worth a shot anyway ;).... let us know what happens!!!

hd2k

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds