Can You Help Me Run My Video Card Properly?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by superstar, Mar 12, 2006.

1. superstar

superstar Major-Superstar

My friend gave me a video card to put in my pc. I currently have this pc:

HP Vectra VL400
    P3
    800MHZ
    Win XP Home W/Service Pack 2
    192MB RAM
    20GB

(I am upgrading to 512mb ram and an 80GB hard drive in a week or so).

Anyways, the video card acts kinda funny... when i start up the pc it makes the screen all scrambled. i have to let it load once than restart to have the screen diplay properly, or go into the properties and change it to the max setting and reboot so it unscrambles. it's a "NVIDIA GeForce 2 MX/MX 400" its memory size is 64MB. is there something I should do to make it work properly? He did'nt give me a cdrom installation disc or or floppy to install anything for it.

It actually lets me play 64 bit games in 3d with no problem, when i tested it (after restarting like i said above). But like i told you the screen comes all blurry ans scrambled when i start up. I have to restart after and than it shows up clearly. It seems to like resest it's display settings on its own. lol. And if I leave the pc on standby it makes the screen smaller or resets it to a different setting when I come back on from standby. lol. i'm assuming i need some sort of software or what do you call them drivers?

I want this thing to work proper without the hassle. I know it works because I can see the screen right now. and it makes everything look much clearer. Though when it resets the diplay settings like I said before it will make web pages look slow when I scroll or run an application window on my screen and move it around. But when I boot up for the first time and its all scramebled and than restart it looks and runs fine without probs I guess. But than it plays the display properties limbo as I said when I turn off my pc, standby. So I know its a good working video card. I just can't seem to set it so it works properly.

Like I'll go to properties on the desktop and change it to something like "1280 x 1024 on 32 bit color". And it'll run fine after the first boot and restart, than if i leave the pc on standby and come back the resolution will show up as like 1000 x something on 16 bit or whatever. And than i can't play the games when it does that. Do I need some sort of drivers or something?? It's also making my pc verify if one of my hard drive's working properly when I boot sometimes or come off standby and does a check. The check always shows up successfull with no errors. It never did that before I installed this video card.

I'm assuming I need drivers no or something? I have this program called "everest" and it tells you your system details. It says a suggestion on the bios details (I dunno if this has anything to do with the vid card). It says "system bios is more than two years old update if neccesary" ,and it says "video bios is more than 2 years old update is neccesary". On the details for my video card it has a link for product information and a link for driver download. Those links in everest for my device description for my vid card are:
    (Please go to them and let me know if there is anything I need from there.

Product Information http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?PAGE=products

Driver Download http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

WHAT DO I DO TO MAKE IT WORK TO THE FULL POTENTIAL AND TO RUN PROPER?

I thought win xp installs any vid card or sound card automatically and makes them work by itself.
    I dunno much about adding hardware so sorry. Oh here are a couple of names that everest gives me for my vid card:

Device Description
    NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400 (Microsoft Corporation)

or

Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400 (Microsoft Corporation) (64 MB)

or

3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400

I dunno if that helps. I installed a 56k modem into this pc a while back and windows installed it by itself and it worked and identified it. I never had probs when I did that. I dunno what the difference is with a vid card installation.

Please help me. I'm giving this pc to my little brother for graduation out of a technical high school. It's my gift to him. I don't have much money, but I want him to be as smart as all of you one day and be able to make a decent living doing stuff with computers. I have a good knowledge with pcs, so if you tell me what to do I will do it. Lay it on me!!!!

By the way I would like to take the time to thank each and everyone of you who helps and whomever is reading this and helping me I appreciate your time and care. May you get good deeds in return. Thank you all for your dedication and time.

Oh and just to let you know I will be checkin this frequently. Here is some more info if you need it.

If you do reply be sure to give me the correct information.
    I need detailed instructions. As I've never put in an AGP vid card in my system before. I dunno what to do. I looked at several other posts releated to my topic and everyone else has different issues. But what I do notice is that most people say something about installing or fixing bios, netwframework, drivers, etc. I need all info to get my vid card running properly please. It's an old card I guess... so I hope you guys will already know what to do with my model make.

Oh and just so you know my pc has intergrated graphics. (when the AGP vid card is'nt in). I dunno if that helps too.

Please gimmie detailed instructions.

If you want to see my AGP card and look at it or look at the model numbers on the stickers or details here they are two pics of it:

Front:
    [​IMG]

Back:
    [​IMG]

I wish I could get this thing to work. Please help. I've been on your site checkin for a day. lol. Thank you to whomever helps. I know this is probably an old card to you guys, but it will be of much use for me and my little brother.

I need this thing to work. I know it works, I just don't know what to do other than slip it in the AGP slot on my mobo and than turn on the pc. lol. I know there is more to it. I have to install things or something so I don't have the probs I mentioned.

2. juggalo29935

juggalo29935 Private E-2

If you havent already, install the drivers. Go to the web site and download if you dont have it on cd. I had a similar problem, I forgot to install the drivers. Installed and everything is great.

3. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

Download and install the driver from HERE, reboot when prompted, then once back on desktop adjust your preferred resolution etc.

(We have a later driver version HERE, but it's not WHQL)

4. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Insomniac beat me to it,Ignore this post :(

5. superstar

First off thank you all for replying to my post and helping me get my video card in and running. I know a lot of people probably leave posts and than don't thank ya'll. I have one thing to say though. & I don't mean to cause any problems. But I left a post on geekstogo.com and they never replied for days. I still have no reply to what I had left there. I left a post today here on your site and you guys replied right away. I think I'm gonna stick to you guys.

Another thing. I have downloaded the driver thing off that link you gave me. It's called forceware or something. Can you tell me how to do it step by step? Like should I have my new video card in the AGP slot before I turn on the pc and install that NVIDIA forceware driver or whatever its called? Etc. Can you please walk me through it quick. I'm sorry to cause ya'll problems and waste your time. Thank you very much. I just don't want to ruin this pc. And by you guys helping me I will know what to do in the future and next time. Thanks.

Oh more thing:
    Does running my vid card on its maximum display resolution slow down my pc? or internet? Or slow down my pc at all? And does having more ram make my games run faster or better?

Thank you all you are the best pc helping team on the net!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Insomniac

What did you have before you installed this Geforce card?

Was it onboard (built-in) graphics or another AGP card?

Regarding RAM, more would certainly be beneficial not only in gaming, but general use.

7. superstar

I have integrated graphics on my motherboard. and integrated sound as well.

Thanks insomniac.

8. Insomniac

You need to disable the integrated graphics and enable AGP.

Some motherboards can do this automatically when an AGP card is inserted.

Others, you have to enter the Bios and manually do so.

To enter the Bios, as it's booting you need to repeatedly tap a certain key.

It's usually F1, F11, Esc, or Ctrl etc, and usually written at the bottom of the screen "to enter setup press *".

Once in the Bios, you need to enter the correct section, usually Advanced Options.

Don't forget to save your settings before you exit (it tells you which key to press on the bottom of the screen).

First thing that should be done is to go into Device Manager and uninstall the integrated graphics, then shut down, install the card, reboot and enter the Bios and enable AGP.

Then exit the Bios and let it boot normally.

Once on desktop, install the Forceware drivers and reboot when prompted, then adjust settings when back on desktop.

9. superstar

I'm assuming I have integrated graphics because I have no pci card or other agp card in my system on my motherboard. On everest it says something about intel graphics controller and integrated something. I think thats what I have. As for the instructions you gave me. How will I know if my computer will disable the integrated graphics on its own? Is that why when i tried putting in the agp card and starting my pc it was all scrambled and than I restarted and it was fine. and than when i shut down and turned on the computer it was all scrambled again and than i had to restart again and do the same when i shut down again. Once you answer this question i will proceed with your instructions and print them out (the instructions you gave me before). My last question is. If i mess with the bios thing will i have to enable the intergrated graphics if i take the card out? etc? because if so i want to write down the way it is set up before i change it.

10. superstar

By the way thnx imconiac your a f'in genius. I cant wait to try and get this thing working. It's been sitting in an electro static bag for a few days now.

11. superstar

Oh and I bet that once I install the drivers and everything the little fan on the video card will start to spin too no? Because when I told you I put it in before and all the scrambled stuff etc. The little fan on the vid card never spun. I'm assuming the driver thing has all the info stuff in it to make it spin? Or do these little fans turn on when the card gets to a certain temperature?

12. superstar

Sorry yah I was gonna go ahead and install the AGP. But while I was doing the process I ran into one small prob. You told me to uninstall my intergrated graphics using the "device manager". Ummmm... first things first. I'm not fully sure if I have integrated graphics, all i know is I have no pci or agp video card. all that i have is a motherboard. Umm in "Everest" it says I have:

- Video Adapter Intel(R) 82815 Graphics Controller (Microsoft Corporation) (32 MB)

- 3D Accelerator Intel i752

- Adapter String Intel(R) 82815 Graphics Controller

- Chip Type Intel(R) 82815

- DAC Type Internal

- Installed Drivers i81xdnt5 (6.13.01.3198 )

- Memory Size 32 MB

- Device Description
    Integrated: Intel 82815 Chipset - Integrated i752 Graphics [A-2]

- Video Adapter Intel 82815 Chipset - Integrated i752 Graphics [A-2]

- GPU Code Name i752

- PCI Device 8086 / 1132

- Bus Type Integrated

- Device Properties
    Device Description Intel 82815 Chipset - Integrated i752 Graphics [A-2]
    Bus Type PCI
    Bus / Device / Function 0 / 2 / 0
    Device ID 8086-1132
    Subsystem ID 103C-1245
    Device Class 0300 (VGA Display Controller)
    Revision 02
    Fast Back-to-Back Transactions Supported, Disabled

Device Features
    66 MHz Operation Supported
    Bus Mastering Enabled

Does that help you tell me if its integrated graphics or no? And if so, you told me to uninstall my integrated graphics from my device manager. What exactly do I have to uninstall? There are so many little options and things to see in the device manager. What would it be under? Can't I just shut down my pc, install my AGP video card, enter bios, enable my agp card, restart, than install the forceware drivers? Can't I do that without uninstalling anything from the device manager? or will this confuse my system or give me probs? If I do have to uninstall something from my device manager please tell me what it will be called exactly and what to look under. There are so many categorys and sub categories in device manager, i am confused there. Once you tell me this I can handle the rest. I hope that little I info got from "everest" tells you something about how the video runs on my pc. If you still need more info ask me and I will reply with it.

13. superstar

Whats the purpose of me uninstalling whatever "Insomiac" has been telling me to unistall (In a previous reply - scroll up). I mean your telling me to uninstall what I think is my intergrated graphics (i dont know yet so I posted the last couple relpies for you to help me). But whats the purpose of me doing that (when you tell me which one it is), because I see that you can disable things there too. Is'nt it better if I disable whatever your trying to tell me to uninstall? Because I'm assuming I wouldnt be able to see my screen if I take out my agp card because Im uninstalling whatever you are telling me to. Nevertheless I just want my new AGP Card to work. May you please tell me what I need to uninstall (as suggested by "Insomniac" in a reply above). Tell me exactly what I need to uninstall. I mean because I am gonna reformat my entire pc sometime i bet, and I assume I'm gonna need to do all of this again to make my agp card work. So please go over the process again. Tell me what I need to do in device manager. Thanx. As of now my agp video card is still in its damned electro static bag. I am so frustrated. I just want to play some games!!!!!! and have it working without a hitch. the only reason I'm saying all of this is because I do not want to screw up my pc or any configurations on it. and I dont want to ruin anything in the device manager. Thats my first time seeing or knowing about it. lol. thx

14. ecayres

ecayres Private E-2

Which version of forceware are you using ? 81.98 or 71.89 ?

15. Wavetar

Wavetar Sergeant

He did not tell you to "uninstall" your integrated video, he said to "disable" it in the BIOS, while enabling the AGP at the same time.

The fact your AGP video card actually works (albeit flakey) when you install it tells me your BIOS seems to be automatically recognizing the card, so you probably don't need to worry about doing it manually.

So, install the forceware drivers with your MX400 installed, and everything should be ok.

16. superstar

Okay so can you tell me one last time how I should install my agp vid card?

Insomniac said to do this:

You need to disable the integrated graphics and enable AGP.

Some motherboards can do this automatically when an AGP card is inserted.

Others, you have to enter the Bios and manually do so.

To enter the Bios, as it's booting you need to repeatedly tap a certain key.

It's usually F1, F11, Esc, or Ctrl etc, and usually written at the bottom of the screen "to enter setup press *".

Once in the Bios, you need to enter the correct section, usually Advanced Options.

Don't forget to save your settings before you exit (it tells you which key to press on the bottom of the screen).

First thing that should be done is to go into Device Manager and uninstall the integrated graphics, then shut down, install the card, reboot and enter the Bios and enable AGP.

Then exit the Bios and let it boot normally.

Once on desktop, install the Forceware drivers and reboot when prompted, then adjust settings when back on desktop.
    ------------------------------------------

Meanwhile what I get from you is to turn off my pc, put in the agp card, turn on my pc, than install the drivers. your not sayin anything about changing anything in bios. so i'm getting confused with all these methods. Please tell me as in step one, step two, step three. I don't want to mess up my pc. Thx. Oh and yes I have that 81.98 version of the forceware drivers from the NVIDIA site

17. Rikky

That fan should be running as soon as you turn on your pc,if not theres something wrong with the card 'or' most probably you havnt inserted the card correctly,inserting the card incorrectly is easier than it sounds you simply dont push it into agp slot hard enough through fear of damaging the card 'I have been there;) ',try removing the card again,line up the card with the slot and firmly push it down into the port,if inserted correctly the top of brass pins on the bottom of the card should all be level and slightly protruding from the top of the slot,also check for any small tabs on the inside edge of the agp port,sometime these need to be manouvered to clip the card in place

Secondly check the small power wire for the fan is connected to the card

The fan not spinning could have been causing all your other graphical problems as the card was overheating,before you move any further this fan must be spinning as soon as you power up your computer,if after several attempts at reinserting the card the fan still does not start spinning,post a picture if you can of the card in the port and I or another member will check if its inserted correctly or return the card as faulty :)

18. superstar

why what could happen if i run the video card and the fan doesnt spin?

19. Rikky

It overheats and dies :rolleyes:

20. superstar

this video card is giving me more problems than i bargained for. if you look up you can see the pic of my card. can i replace that fan? cuz I can't take it back.

21. superstar

Damn can someone answer my question on how to install the card. no ones given me a solid step by step answer

22. Rikky

I have Already given you instructions how INSERT the card into your motherboard you seem to have ignored my post or havnt tried it and havnt bothered to mention whether you'v tried it,here it is again

If the fan doesnt spin when the card is inserted the card is dead,hasnt been inserted properly or the fan is dead,how do you insert the card into the motherboard by me

If you would like more detailed instructions as in where to put your fingers when picking up the card,which slot your aiming for I'll try and find a pictoral guide:confused:

Only when you have INSERTED the card properly and the fan is spinning,can you move onto INSTALLING the card

23. Rikky

24. Wavetar

Wavetar Sergeant

There are a couple of possibilities, that's why it's difficult give you exact step-by-step instructions.

Some computers don't "auto detect" the AGP card properly, thus you would need to follow insomniac's post, and manually disable the integrated video, enable AGP slot, etc, etc.

The fact your card works when you install it, and Everest & device manager see it, tells us the BIOS is autodetecting it, so you don't really need to do anything special. Simply install it & do what you did before to get it displaying properly (rebooting, etc). Once the display looks fine, install the forceware drivers...reboot when it tells you to & everything should be good to go...other than your defective fan.

25. superstar

Wow Rikky you surprised me. I did'nt know you would know the exact size of the fan for my video card right off the bat. Impressive. Yah I think it's the fan. It must be dead, it just does'nt spin. I'm going to try and manouver the agp connectors and make sure it touches every gold stripe. But I just think the fan is dead. Oh and I get you guys now about the installation and installing the drivers. I understand that part now. But I guess that's going to have to wait until I go and get the new fan for my video card this week. I know you can probably find those fans online if you search, but I sure do hope they still sell those kinds in local stores. Especially the size I need. Otherwise I won't be able to use my card. It's a good video card too, the 64bit games look very impressive as if it were Nintendo 64. I'm not going to dare use it until it works. Because when I tested the card it gets hot like hell after like one minute so I don't want to burn it without a fan and make it die. I guess it's back to the electro static bag for this bia bia! lol. 40mm was the exact size too I measured it. My vid card fan seems to be awefully stuck, like it won't spin, I try to spin it with my fingers and its like hard. I feel like unscrewing it and opening it up to see if something is wrong or stuck in it. (This video card is used by the way and came from a pc store where they let gamers use pcs to play games for money. So it was used like everyday, judging from its age thats probably why its burnt out if it is). Though the card works fine. It's just the fan

Does it matter if it's the same brand fan, design, or DC?

Or is it just as long as it fits, and has the two pin connectors no? (My fan is 40mm, and has 2 pin connectors, and the fan uses 4 screws and I believe is DC12v).

Are vid card fans known to die out and burn out after usage?

And if I get a new 40mm vid card fan with 2 pin connectors and that white part of the connector is different from the one currently on my video card is it recommended for me to modify the white connector part and change it with the one on my old fan somehow?

26. Rikky

The two pin connector is a standard fitting you shouldnt have to modify it all,they are all 12v dc

You should be concerned though whether the card has become perminently damaged which could of happened depending on how long the fan has been out of action and the card used and the temperature the chip reached

For the price of a $2 fan its worth trying :)

27. superstar

I'm going to get the fan for my nvidia agp video card. Can I put the video card in the agp slot of my motherboard, and install the forceware drivers, than uninstall the drivers and take out the card if the fan or the video card end up not working or having issues from it's used past? Thus returning my pc to normal as if i never put it in or installed anything?

28. superstar

Oh and how will I know if the vid card has been permenantly damaged by its used past? Or if the card reached a high temperature as you said. Oh & I'm saying all of this pretending it were damaged.

BY THE WAY THIS AND THE LAST POST ARE MY LAST QUESTIONS THAN I AM GOING AHEAD AND OPENING MY WALLET AND BUYING THIS FAN AND USING ALL OF THE REPLYS I GOT. (I PRINTED THEM OUT! LOL)

29. Rikky

Its your thread you can ask as many questions as you please until your problem is solved:) ,once you have a working fan attached any problems you previously observed should subside,if not the card is damaged,for the price of a $2 fan though its worth the risk,if the card doesnt work your only out two bucks;)

30. superstar

Can the Nvidia forceware drivers be uninstalled tho? So I can set my pc back to how it was if the card does'nt work and gives me problems?

31. Insomniac

Yes they can be uninstalled in Add/Remove in Control Panel.

32. superstar

Okay I went & bought the new 40mm fan for my "Nvidia Geforce 2 MX400" 64 bit video card. & the fan works fine when I tested it in my mobo.

I have a really big problem now. I have followed the instructions that "Insomiac" gave to me. The instructions on installing my used geforce 2 card from him were: (notice the bold underlined words)

1. Download the drivers off nvidia's site (because I did'nt have them)

2. Go into device driver and uninstall my integrated graphics that come with my "HP Vectra VL400" pc. Than shut down.

3. Install the Nvidia card

4. Reboot and enter the bios and enable agp in the advanced options. save and exit. Than let it boot normally.

5. Once on the desktop, install the forceware drivers that I downloaded from the Nvidia site. Than reboot when prompted, and adjust my settings when back on my desktop.

6. That's when I should have supposedly finished the process!!!!

I tried that process and I had problems... The following is the only way I can explain my problem. This is where I'll take us way back to when I did'nt have the forceware, or even installed the card, or even done anything... When I bought this card and brought it home it had no driver cd. So me thinking it would probably work without them I installed it in the agp slot on my mobo. When I did so I turned on my pc and it boot normally except the screen was srambled. It was scrambled all the way to the xp desktop. But it was still visible though scrambled. I'd than restart my pc with the agp video card still in my pc and it would boot perfectly clear. It would go up to the xp desktop and still work fine. No problems whatsoandever. I tried a 64 bit 3D video game and it ran fine! No problems. Now when I'd shut off my pc after that first reboot mentioned (where it began to work), my vid card would be back to sqaure one and I would have to let it run to the desktop than reboot again for it to work. Here's where it get's tricky... you have to pay attention to detail as I write. Remember to notice what is in bold and underlined.

I than posted my problem and was met with a reply by you guys that had said the instructions you all kept telling me which I wrote above (step 1- 6). I did that. Now when I did all that my pc would still start up scrambled on the HP logo (I have an HP Vectra VL400)... So it would start up scrambled on the HP logo (you know when it says press F1, F2 - to go to bios etc)... After it would be scrambled when the Hp logo passed, the Windows XP boot progress logo would come on prefectly clear and as if the card were in perfect condition. And it would proceed that way throughout the entire way til desktop. I could view photos, documents, etc. Except now when I'd go to play that 64 bit video game (I used that game as a reference), the game would freeze before it goes into 3D mode after its basic 1D menu for the game. & I'd have to use windows task manager to close the game, or wait two secs until the game would run in 3D for about 3 seconds and press "X" to close it. Meaning that it just would'nt run the game, though it did before I followed all your steps (1-6). You know before I did anything and the way I had to get the card to work was simply put it in and reboot after the first boot as I wrote above.Another thing about the game not working after the steps I followed that you guys gave me... The desktop icons words looked shaky on the desktop. Like kinda shaky... & if I'd reboot it would make the HP (press F1, or F2 screen), look all scrambled again until the Windows XP boot progress and it would look fine again. But the game would still not run. & this process would just continue like that. & yes I did run the screen size at it's maximum size and highest bit rating, and I tried running it on it's lowest screen size and lowest bit rating too. & that just did'nt work.

Why would the card work with no drivers on a second boot up, and not when I installed the drivers and followed your steps?

The only thing (remember to notice what is in bold and underlined), the only thing that I did differently was step 3 which I wrote above that you guys gave me, which was:

2. Go into device driver and uninstall my integrated graphics that come with my "HP Vectra VL400" pc. Than shut down.

I did not uninstall it in my device manager I just disabled it in my device manager. Because I'm not going to uninstall it and than if it all still does'nt work I won't be able to get the screen to work ever again and I will lost the integrated graphics. & if it ends up having to do anything with re-installing Win xp to get my integrated graphics back I will lose my data on my pc. & If I try to use system restore, I dunno if I'll get my integrated graphics back after uninstalling them by using that. So what I choose to do when I rearranged step 2 was to:

DISABLE the integrated graphics in the device manager not UNINSTALL them. & than I followed every other step accordingly.

Is my system getting confused as to what video to use (onboard, or my agp card), even though I disabled the integrated graphics on step 2?

I have the latest NVidia drivers that you guys suggested which were the "81.98_forceware_winxp2k_english_whql" for my card. Could it be these drivers don't work? That I need different ones?

Is it that I need to actually uninstall my integrated graphics in the device manager?
    Note: this is exactly what I had disabled in step 2 in my device manager "Display Adapters\Intel(R) 82815 Graphics Controller (Microsoft Corporation)

Did I disable the wrong one in my device manager?

Am I getting the wrong process in order to have the card working in my system?

Why is it that I can use my vid card and play games with it following no process and than not be able to when I do follow your process?

One thing I forgot to mention... This is a "Nvidia Geforce 2 MX400" 64 bit agp card. I dunno much about cards so I dunno if I should call it a graphics card or video card. If it is one or the other I'm sorry and that must've been why it does'nt work. I mean I dunno the difference between those two names (graphics card, video card).

I know this card works. Becuase it does without following your steps, when I do that boot up/reboot process with no drivers. So this card can't be damaged or ruined. It works. So what can I do. There must be some other steps I can follow. Some other method or something. Please help my card depends on it. I bought the fan as all of you suggested... I had to drive far to get that no one had it. & I am really dying to play the 3D game that I told you works one way but not the other. Please... Please. Everyone give me a solution!!!!

:rolleyes: :eek: :confused: :rolleyes: :eek:

I know it works. So there has to be a way to install drivers and have it work from the beginning of the boot when I press the power button. & so be able to see the HP F1, F2 startup screen properly without scrambling, and have the games work with the drivers (forceware/whatever)!!!!!!!

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I'm going nutz ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh:rolleyes: :confused:

I'm literally going to go bald from pulling my hair out. HELP!!!!!

33. superstar

YOU KNOW WHAT? I THINK I JUST FIGURED OUT WHY MY VIDEO CARD HAS'NT BEEN WORKING. ESPECIALLY WITH THE DRIVERS I HAVE.

First off if you don't know what problems I have with this video card read my first post.

The reason I was having problems probably had to do with the fact that I was attempting to use NVidia drivers from www.nvidia.com. I read some lines on a page there and it says that altough you might have a video card with an nvidia gpu that does'nt mean you need a driver from them. That you should get a driver from the manufacturer that made the card. With this in mind I will once again give you the name of my card. Silly me it's on the sticker on the back of my card. I have the following video card:

Aopen
    Model: MX400-
    64MB-AGP

Part No: 90.05210.B15

Geforce2 MX400 64MB

I now believe that the drivers for my video card can be found on www.aopen.com

The only problem is they have different MX400 versions. I think about 3-4 of them. Now I tried looking at the driver pages for each one. The driver pages for each of the 3-4 MX400 versions have manuals and if you search the driver pages they have a link to example pics of the video card. I have tried to compare my picture (below) of my video card to the ones I have seen on the 3-4 MX400 versions pics. But about 1 or 2 of those MX400 versions pages have no pic. So I'm just wondering which one is my card. I have tried to download a couple of the manuals for them but I have'nt seen any information in them that would lead me to know. The problem is I'm on dial up, and I have no time to wait for all these things to download. I need the exact driver for my exact video card from aopen. & I can't sit and wait and download all these huge manuals. I only have time to download the driver (takes about 1-2 hours). lol.

So I am asking anyone of you who obviously has lightening fast internet to please check for me and give me the links to the driver and manual I need. & I will finally (after a few weeks of having this vid card) be able to bask in it's working glory.

Someone please search it for me!! I beg of you. I have spend countless hours on this thing (two weeks to be exact). It is now time. I now know I had the wrong drivers from the wrong site. I now beg of you to please download em for me off the aopen site. Thank you very much for helping me.

Here is actual pics of the video card I have for your reference:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

34. superstar

someone please read the post above and help me.

35. Insomniac

They only list one driver for an MX400-64 for XP, available from HERE.

36. hugh750

hugh750 MajorGeek

You could try nvidia's new 84.21 drivers they do support the geforce 2 mx400 or take the card back to where you got it from and see if you can exchange it.

37. superstar

I downloaded the MX400-64 driver from www.aopen.com

When I installed my agp card I went into the bios and enabled the agp.

Than i went on the desktop and tried to install the driver.

It loaded and extracted and than it just shut off my monitor screen (not literally). but the screen goes black once I press the exe for the driver and it extracts. i left my system there for a couple of minutes thinking that the screen would come up and that the driver would fix it and that thats prob why it went black. Now is this a bad thing? What should I do?

Am I supposed to wait longer when my screen goes black and the power button light on my screen flashes from orange to green?

I dunno what to do..

38. Insomniac

Sounds like the card has had it.

Try other drivers like nVidia that I originally linked, just make sure you uninstall these ones first if they installed (try Safe Mode if you can't uninstall normally).

39. superstar

your right though i think my card has had it. i payed 5 dollars for the new fan with a free molex adapter. so ahh well. i'll try it a few more times tho with some new drivers and possibly in safe mode. i'll keep ya posted on how my video card does. If anyone has the exact drivers for this "Aopen Geforce 2 MX400 64Bit" agp card let me know. Blasted inferno its been weeks and I cant find it and no ones given it to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

40. Insomniac

I already supplied a link for the AOpen drivers for that card, and it's not a 64 bit, it's 64MB.

41. superstar

true. I think that my card has had it tho. i am going to have to give it one more go.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds