Can you put a DRAM into a RIMM socket

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JohnNitro, Jul 10, 2006.

1. JohnNitro

JohnNitro Private First Class

Not sure about how to upgrade it. It says RIMM and have 2 things inserted already. I got some DRAM but its a single module, not sure if it will work if i put it in and I dont want to break it.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

NO, completly different memory types, do not attempt to put DRAMs in a RIMM/RDRAM motherboard,

Plus if you did have a RIMM memory module, you would need another one for the motherboard to boot as RIMMs or RDRAM need to inserted in matched pairs.

How many free slots do you have in your Mobo as you already have 2 RIMMs installed, if you have another 2 free slots they will at present be taken up with 2 CRIMMs, Continuity RIMMs, these are used to fill the empty slots up as a RDRAM motherboard needs all the slots filled to work. Once you get a similar matched pair of RIMMs you pull the CRIMMs out and insert the RIMMs.

Use Everest to check on your motherboards specs and memory type... the readout info from Everest should actually give you a fairly detailed listing of the Ram in your PC.

to know how many slots you have Click > Motherboard > Motherboard and under Motherboard Physical info it will list DRAM ( dunno why but it reports RIMM slots as DRAM ) slots 2 or 4.

then click SPD as this will tell you which type RDRAM you need it maybe PC600 PC800 or PC1066 and which model types eg. Samsung MR16R 0828BN1-CK8 < only an example and not the type you may need.

Do note that RDRAM is still very expensive compaired to DDR Ram and you will have to buy two ram sticks of a matched pair.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2006

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds