Cannnot Load Firefox

Discussion in 'Software' started by Skysarge, Dec 1, 2016.

1. Skysarge

Skysarge First Sergeant

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot? All the problems I am having, now this!
    FF will not load, error msg:
    "The address wasn’t understood
    Firefox doesn’t know how to open this address, because one of the following protocols (place) isn’t associated with any program or is not allowed in this context.
    You might need to install other software to open this address"

I deleted and reloaded FF after getting this message, once in 32 bit, then in 64 when 32 displayed that message.
    I used Mozilla's download from their site
    OP is Win 7

2. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Best to stick with Firefox 32 bit (ie the standard installation) as 64bit versions are very new and still subject to some issues.
    My suggestion would be to uninstall Firefox again, but this time, restart your system and then search for a remaining Mozilla Firefox folder in program files (not anywhere else) and if there delete it. Restart system again and do a new install from a fresh set up file.
    None of the above will delete your profile.

3. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

If Windows doesn't have an association for the .place, or the URL you tried to open in Firefox ends with .place then you are stuck, or doing something wrong.

As far as I'm aware, there is nothing that uses a .place file extension, nor is there any web protocol that uses place.

Whatever 'link' you used in Firefox is simply incorrect, nothing to do with Firefox, or with Windows, or any 3rd party software.

4. dr.moriarty

dr.moriarty Malware Super Sleuth Staff Member

5. Skysarge

Skysarge First Sergeant

6. dr.moriarty

dr.moriarty Malware Super Sleuth Staff Member

Is it that Firefox won't load any URLs or a particular one? If so, which?

7. Skysarge

Skysarge First Sergeant

Firefox itself would not load.

Problem fixed, utilized visiting computer wiz Grandson. Not sure what he did

8. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

You should ask him and WRITE IT down. If it happens again, refer to notes FF will not start and you might be able to fix it yourself.

dr.moriarty likes this.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds