Cannot boot from hard drive after bad partitioning

Discussion in 'Software' started by Resolution, May 6, 2009.

1. Resolution

Resolution Private E-2

Ok,
    I have a 1tb samsung spinpoint hard-drive. It was running fine having a partition for Windows 7, Windows Vista, and another partition for all my files (which I stupidly haven't backed up).

I have been using GParted, a partitioning program which runs from boot on my flash dongle. However I had lots of unallocated space, and so added a bit of space to each OS, and a lot of space to my files. But during this process, just at the beginning of the start of the file partition expansion I cancelled the operation since it would likely take about 6hrs which I just didn't have time for. But that was a big mistake, the partition became corrupt and here's the message I got from GParted:

Failed to mount '/dev/sda2'(the file partion): Input/output error.
    NTFS is inconsistent. Run chkdsk /f on Windows then reboot it TWICE!
    The usage of the /f parameter is very IMPORTANT! No modification was made to NTFS by this software.

I assume this means that the file partition has become corrupted.
    So I tried to boot into windows and carry out this chkdsk /f thing, but when I tried to boot it said that no bootable devices were connected. I looked in the bios and I could see my hard drive in the SATA drive - but that wasn't any help.
    Then I removed the hard drive and stuck it in another computer, ran the Windows on that machine however my hard drive wasn't visible. Not only that but I opened a file recovery program which still couldn't see my hard drive.

So basically I stopped my harddrive whilst it was doing something really important, it has files which haven't been backed up, it isn't visible on Windows and doesn't boot, and I've tried it on another machine. The only way I can think of making this hard drive bootable again is by deleting the corrupted partition.

Is there anyway I can repair this partition so that I do not lose my files? Is there any hope at all? Please help!!! :(

I'll bump this in the morning, it's late here in the UK but I'll be back tomorrow and answer any questions I can.

2. Resolution

Resolution Private E-2

If nobody is responding because there is nothing I can do, can you tell me that there's nothing I can do?

3. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

You are aware that bumping on MGs will send your thread to the bottom of the "work pile" aren't you?

Anyway, can you boot from a windows CD to run the CHKDSK?

EDIT: When you plug the drive into another computer, is the drive in Device Manager or Disk Manager?

4. Resolution

Resolution Private E-2

Ok, no I wasn't aware :s

I tried booting from windows cd, and I choose repair. However no drives appeared on the screen. I clicked the load drivers button and was able to navegate to the 'my computer screen'. The uncorrupted partitions were there, accessable and labled however there was also an unknown hard drive.

I did right click and properties on the partition, then the only option I had was check for errors however this didn't work as it said windows couldn't access the drive :s

Photo of screen (sorry it's a bit of a big file)

I can enter command prompt, but I'm not sure how to address the chkdsk command to the corrupt partition.

----------------

At the moment I don't have access to another computer to try look in device manager however I will later on in the day.

I appreciate the help.

Last edited: May 7, 2009
  5. Resolution

Resolution Private E-2

Managed to do chksdk, made it accessable from other machines but still wouldn't boot.
    I took all the files onto another PC and and just wiped my hdd, and then I repartitioned the drive, reinstalled W7 and put back all my files.

All is well again :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds