Cannot Browse Secure Websites

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GigabtyeGeek, Jul 3, 2005.

1. GigabtyeGeek

GigabtyeGeek Private E-2

Some sort of spyware has attacked my system, I think I got rid of it. The spyware was preventing me from accessing certain sites mostly secure sites. When I would look at the status part of the web browser this would pop up "badurl grandstreet.interactive" I googled it and found it was some sort of new spyware or something. So I deleted anything and everything associated with it including files that were recently created that I knew for sure weren't in need. I think I got rid of the spyware but now I cant undo what it has done.

My internet works I can browse but here is what I cant do:

- no accessing secure sites
    - no streaming audio/video
    - cannot update software (ie) Adware. It has a failure to connect error.

I had experienced a similar problem in the past and was told to use the LSPFIX software but im not sure if thats the problem this time around.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

What firewall are you using? Try removing it.

3. GigabtyeGeek

GigabtyeGeek Private E-2

Im not using a firewall as far as I know. The sad part is all my tech help is telling me to do is format and reinstall everything. I hope theres another way.

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Is this Windows XP?

Can you get to Windows Update?

Can you get to this website?

http://www.microsoft.com:443

(it takes a bit to come up)

5. GigabtyeGeek

GigabtyeGeek Private E-2

No I cannot access this site and im using XP

6. GigabtyeGeek

GigabtyeGeek Private E-2

I just wanted to add that I did follow my manufacturers advice and I did a reinstall of the system I didn't do the format install. Anyways while it was rebooting from this it said that Microsoft Proxy Server Services did not pass a test. And it asked me to continue anyway or stop the isntallation. Maybe this is could be the source of the problem?

7. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Yeah, probably so.

Go to msinfo32 and get some info for me.

On the left hand side, go to:

Compnents>network>Protocol

Highlight protocol, and look to the right. Give me the very first line.

8. GigabtyeGeek

GigabtyeGeek Private E-2

Name: MSFAD Tcpip [TCP/IP]

I have a real problem because I called up tech support and they told me the only option i had left was to do a FULL RESTORE. I backed up as much as I could and finally did it.

What really sucks is that I did all that erasing only to STILL have my problem.
    Im not sure what it is.

Im using a LinkSys Router I connect through DSL. But I know that I have never changed the settings and I have never had a running firewall so im really up a creek as far as pin pointing the issue.

9. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Try going straght to the dsl modem.

10. GigabtyeGeek

GigabtyeGeek Private E-2

Welp alas I feel screwed my AOL browser lets me browse. IE doesnt let me browse AT ALL. So I told this to AOL tech support they said since explorer doesnt work something is wrong with explorer and therefore they sent me back to HP. HP told me to fully format again and I did it and well it didnt work again. So they're sending someone out. This sucks. Thanks for your help guys.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds