Cannot clear Google search

Discussion in 'Software' started by kirk48, Aug 27, 2008.

1. kirk48

kirk48 Corporal

I've tried everything I can think of or read about to clear my google search page. It is so cluttered up as to be nearly useless and I would like to start clean. No matter what when I type a letter it offers every word I've ever typed, even typos.

Any ideas?

2. kirk48

kirk48 Corporal

I just realized that every computer on my network has the same Google searches, even though they are used in different ways.

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

4. MrKlown

MrKlown Private E-2

There is a feature in almost all browsers now that shows 'suggestion' searches. If this is what you are talking about, this is how you disable it. Hope this helps you!
    http://www.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=106230&topic=8994

Lol, even though you mentioned suggestions plodr I didn't see it explaining it easily enough on that website which is why I posted this. Hope you are ok with it.

5. kirk48

kirk48 Corporal

I think there is more than just an issue of clearing the google search, I tried the suggested solutions prior to asking for help. I've turned off all word fillers and tried to empty the "suggestions" on all six computers and the searches are still there on all of the computers, all with the same matches although the computers are used by different people for different purposes.
    Think that is the key to the problem, I wonder if this is a network problem rather than a pure software issue, otherwise how is it that all of the computers have identical suggestions, even the same typos?

6. kirk48

kirk48 Corporal

I negected to mention that highlighting the suggestion and pressing the shift and delete key does not delete the suggestion.

7. MrKlown

MrKlown Private E-2

Did you also try my solution? This is what stopped it for me. It's a new thing Google has started.

8. kirk48

kirk48 Corporal

Yes I did, and thank you very much. I believe this may have stopped additional entrys, but all of the old searches are present on all of the computers. I still can't clear them,

9. oma

oma MajorGeek

10. kirk48

kirk48 Corporal

Thank you OMA, I understand that Google is not saving the searches, rather IE 7 is. But the normal method of clearing the searches does not have any effect. After clearing the history, forms, cookies, and all the rest, when I type a letter all of the previous searches for all the computers comes back up. That is what I cannot get past, how did the searches for one computer or another become the searches for all of the computers?

11. kirk48

kirk48 Corporal

Ok guys, I don't know what to say or think at this point. I went to each computer and got the new Google preffrences page. I set each computer to not suggest, and then tried them. They all were fine. Then I went back to the first one, this is the only one with Vista, and it wanted to jack me off again. When I checked the preffrences page the suggestion radio button was once again in effect. I changed the prefference again and saved it. So far so good. I still don't understand everything that is going on, I've banned everone from using the computers overnight so I could have some control. I'm now facing riot conditons so I am going to let them back on and hope for the best!:-D

Thanks to all who contributed to my cause!

12. oma

oma MajorGeek

I gather that you used tip #3 on the link I posted previously? Here's the info on it.

The search history that displays in the search box on the Google homepage is stored by your browser, not by Google. Click a link below to see instructions for clearing search history in the browser you're using. If your browser isn't listed, we suggest consulting its help resources.
    Internet Explorer 7

1. Click the Tools menu.
    2. Select Delete Browsing History .
    3. Click the Delete forms button.
    4. Click the Yes button in the confirmation window.
    5. Click the Close button.

Alternatively, you can delete individual entries from your search history by using the Down arrow key to highlight a previous search, then pressing the Delete key.

See instructions on preventing your Google.com search history from being stored in the future.

1. Click the Tools menu.
    2. Select Internet Options.
    3. Click the Content tab.
    4. Click the Settings button in the 'AutoComplete' section.
    5. Deselect the 'Forms' checkbox.
    6. Click the OK buttons to save your settings

13. kirk48

kirk48 Corporal

Yes, I did follow your suggested links; I guess the odd part is that I had tried all of the earlier suggestions, including the ones about using the arrow key to highlight and delete individual searches. The problem I had is that I couldn't get the searches to delete, I even had others follow the instuctions just to see if I was adding to the problem. Somehow the solutions suddenly kicked in and all seems well.

I do thank you for all of your expert assistance and will follow the links again if this concern ever resurfaces.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds