Cannot complete win xp set up error nv4_mini.sys

Discussion in 'Software' started by wagnsew, Aug 29, 2013.

1. wagnsew

wagnsew Private E-2

Hi,
    I was attempting to reinstall Windows XP. Now I cannot get past error
    Message telling me windows set up was stopped because of nv4_mini.sys.

All I am able to do now is get into Bios, boot menu, & advanced options
    menu. I have a dell Inspiron 530 and I'm attempting to use the xp cd that
    came with. Seemed straight forward enough when I started but has gone downhill from there. I can't boot into safe mode. I get message that windows setup cannot run in safe mode.

Now what? I'm at a loss. Not sure what to do at this point. Does recovery console give me any options?

Solutions? Thanks,
    Chris

2. Puppywunder58

Puppywunder58 Master Sergeant

If you haven't done this already, inspect your CD for scratches and clean it as necessary with glass cleaner and a soft microfiber cloth.

3. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

Are you trying to install to the original hard drive, or has it been replaced?

Do you have the BSOD error code?

4. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

Is this a Dell Inspiron 530s or an Inspiron laptop? That NV4_mini.sys has to do with nVidia graphics.

5. wagnsew

wagnsew Private E-2

It's an Inspiron 530 desktop and I was installing on the original hard drive. I figured out the problem. When I was reading a tutorial about doing a clean installation, it hit me that I was not hitting a key to actually boot from the CD. I didn't realize that it was just moving on and trying to boot from the operating system on the hard drive. It went by so fast that I didn't think anything of it at first until I read that it will just move on and boot normally.

Anyway, now I am into reinstalling all the stuff that is now gone. Luckily I had documents backed up and I found most of my installation CDs. Good thing I've got a long weekend to work on this.

Thanks all and maybe this will help someone down the road.

Cheers!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds