cannot decode a recovered file

Discussion in 'Software' started by lynndee, Oct 10, 2010.

1. lynndee

lynndee Private E-2

This is probably nothing to most of you, so can any one tell me how to decode a ffile that i recovered by using easeus data recovery? It found the file, but I cant get it so i can read it. It,s all in code. Someone please help. I need that file!

2. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Welcome, lynndee :)

If you can drop it into Notepad, the first few letters/numbers might help to decipher what type of file it is. If it's not a complete file, however, there's little chance of it being of any use.

3. lynndee

lynndee Private E-2

nope, that didnt work. Maybe if i tell you what all i did first. I, of corse, dowmnloaded the easeus thing, which advised me not to put the recovered file in the same drive, so i put in on a flash drive, if that has anything to do with it. Well, first of all, it was just a folder that i had made up called "notes to self" but it had important things on it ALL the important things that i needed to keep. To get to it originally, i had to click on my documents, then applications, then my documents2 and finally to the file itself. All i did when it happened was, i was going to open it and clicked on it, but it highlighted it instead, but also highlighted the one underneath it it, so i moved my cursor over (i thought) and clicked as to unhighlight it and d try again, and wha-la...gone! A box popped up for just a split second but not long enough for me to see what it said other than noticing the words "notes to self" so i dont even know why or how or anything. Does this help at all?

4. lynndee

lynndee Private E-2

oh, and im sorry... Thank you Satrow. I meant to say that first

5. satrow

I'm struggling to visualise what might have happened. It sounds like you may have added your file to another one but I really don't know.

How large is the file you need to decipher?

6. lynndee

lynndee Private E-2

thanks again satrow, for responding, and i had a feeling from the get-go that it may have somehow been connected with another one but wasnt sure. As far as how large...? well...good question. Never paid any attention to that, but i will check to see if it tells me on the one it recovered, although, wouldnt it be bigger in the codded one? I bet i sound like a complete idiot huh? well, guess what? ha ha...I AM

7. lynndee

lynndee Private E-2

Oh my god! You ARE the man! satrow. I found it and it was just as you said and i even thought about. I dont know why I did not bother to look in other files, except maybe just being too lazy. But once you said that, i did and...woo-hoo! there it was. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Cant say it enough! thank you.

8. satrow

That's really good, your persistence paid off :)

And no decoding required, eh? That's a bonus for both of us!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds