Cannot delete desktop file

Discussion in 'Software' started by chatrang, Dec 3, 2005.

1. chatrang

chatrang Private E-2

Dear Helpers,

Running XP Home. An old file from a program I uninstalled a long time ago is stuck on my desktop. Its properties show it has 0 bytes for size with the name "Directory Opus v8[1].1.0.8." When I try to delete it the message reads, "cannot delete file: cannot read from the source file or disk." I have tried a registry clean and I have tried to delete it from safe mode. Nothing works. I cannot cut, move, delete or even attach this file to an email. Short of creating a new identity, how can I rid myself of this bothersome file?

I have tried all sorts of uninstall programs (eg. Dr. Delete, etc.) and have listened to a number of other suggestions. Nothing seems to work. But there must be a solution to this.... without me discarding my identity (this file does not appear on any new identities that I have created)

Many thx....

Chatrang

2. Ira_Gaines

Ira_Gaines Private E-2

Did you restart?

3. Blueheeler

Blueheeler Private E-2

4. bjgarrick

bjgarrick MajorGeeks Admin - Malware Expert

Just reboot into Safe Mode and delete the file.

5. eclayton

eclayton Sgt. Shorts-cough

:) ....

6. bjgarrick

HA! All I saw was the title "Cannot delete desktop file" and just thru that in as a suggestion. Guess I should have read a little closer...haha!

Chatrang,

If you have other user accounts, try to login one of those (one with Administrator rights) and navigate to the folder below:

C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR USERNAME\Desktop

See if you can locate the file and delete it. If not try this in safe mode.

7. DCO57

DCO57 Private E-2

You mentioned doing a registry clean, but maybe you didn't find the right subkey.
    Do searchs trying different words: Directory Opus, Opus, the software makers name(right click/properties the file and find who makes it).
    Its got to be in the Registry somewhere.
    How long have you had this file? Would a system restore be too far back if you tried to restore the system to before you installed the app? System restores won't remove files from the hdd, but will remove any system related links, shortcuts, and configurations regarding the file (which is what you're trying to remove anyway).
    Sometimes its best to just leave things like this alone if they're not creating any problems. Just create a folder on your desktop called "Misc" and drag the file to it. That way you won't have to see it all the time. (you remind me of me...I like an organized desktop and directory and hate to see anything thats not in its proper place). You can also use the new folder for storing other things.

8. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Options to delete this errant file are,

the aformentioned Unlocker plus my favs,

1. Pocket Killbox
    2. MoveOnBoot this one, once you dragNdrop the file or browse for its location, deletes the file on reboot, so any applications that have locked the file are not running so cannot lock it before deletion.

9. chatrang

chatrang Private E-2

Just a quick note to thank everyone who replied so quickly to my request. The troublesome file could not be deleted by any other means save with Unlocker. And that was suggested by Halo... Thx once again.

Chatrang

10. bjgarrick

Just to confirm, was you was able to remove the file?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds