Cannot delete files on network drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Travisty, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Travisty

Travisty Private E-2

I have recently been given administrator rights to my company's network and am having a rather frustrating issue with one of the drives. Now... let me just say that I am by no means an expert when it comes to computers, but I do know the basics. Here is my problem:

In one of the network drives that I mapped to my pc strictly for scanning documents, none of the PDF files are able to be modified/deleted from the drive. Like I said before, I have administrator rights and was able to give the appropriate permissions to delete/move/modify, but I am still unable to do any of these things. I changed myself to the owner of the files, but still cannot do anything. We have multiple folders under the same server that have been mapped for scanning, and they all work fine except for this one. I assume something is corrupt... since none of the files are in use. How can I check to see if it is corrupt? Should I just give up and let someone a little more knowledgable do it for me?

Thank you in advance.

2. DeadArtic

DeadArtic Private E-2

It wouldn't be an issue with corrupt files but more with permission issue, if you wish to check whether the file is corrupt just open it.
    There is obviously some access violation somewhere that is denying you permission.

I see that you have set in the file owner ship option that you have full access to the files but I can see it's still not working. Even if Read-Only is toggled on it should still over-ride it.

The only thing I can suggest would be trying to change it so the System does not have access to the files but your account does but that shouldn't make a difference.

Now after a bit of searching I came up with this: http://www.techimo.com/forum/networking-internet/204555-deleting-files-network-drive.html
    You might want to take a look.

3. techsent

techsent Corporal

4. LordOlives

LordOlives Private First Class

How were you given administrator rights? Perhaps something wasn't done correctly.

You could check your effective permissions for the share, this will show you what access you have to the folder.
    (right-click folder/file > properties > security tab > advanced > effective permissions tab)

You may want to check the sharing permissions as the default is read-only and will prevent any delete/move/modify action even if the NTFS permissions allow such actions.
    (right-click folder/file > properties > sharing tab > permissions)

This sounds like a permissions error than a corrupt file. Try copying the file to the local computer and then open it. If you can't copy the file or if the file fails to open it may be corrupt.

I would not give up but if you need someone to help you can learn from their knowledge.

5. Travisty

Travisty Private E-2

Thank you for the replies. Unfortunately, I am still unable to modify/delete anything from the mapped drive. I really dont know what the problem is... I am able to work around it, but it is a really frustrating problem.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds