Cannot drag and drop bookmarks in Firefox

Discussion in 'Software' started by lebowl, Jan 17, 2013.

1. lebowl

lebowl Private E-2

(Please be forewarned.I have very minimal computer knowledge)

1. Whenever I try and drag and drop bookmarks in Firefox I get the message "Firefox has stopped responding" and all I can do is close the program. This also occurred when I tried to drag and drop the symbol next to a site name to try and make that site my homepage. I think (but am not sure) that I have the latest version of Firefox(how do i check?).

2. I tried operating Firefox in safe mode and resetting Firefox but these didn't seem to help.

3. After tried investigating on these and similar pages:
    https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/775429?esab=a&as=aaq
    https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/926256?esab=a&as=aaq

and it seems that the Torbutton add on may be causing this drag and drop problem.

4. Is there some simple way to either remove the Torbutton permanently or at least disable it when I want to drag and drop?

5. Is there any potential danger or downside of removing Torbutton?

THANKS

2. lebowl

lebowl Private E-2

Somehow this problem "resolved itself" while I was playing around with bookmarks and suddenly found I could drag and drop them without any problem. I'm praying it doesn't come back because I certainly have no idea what I did to get it working again!

Maybe this was my reward for yet another session with Dell this morning during which the tech was not even able to view my screen with screen sharing(first time this happened although they usually can't move the mouse). Then after about an hour and a half of trying just to get the screen sharing functioning correctly(using safe mode, installing java) the call got disconnected and he never called me back.

3. lebowl

lebowl Private E-2

The problem came back today. I have no idea why. After almost two hours on the phone with Dell where the tech could not view the screen using screen sharing he told me he wanted to remove everything again (the second time in three weeks) and I may have them do this on Monday. It's a good thing I'm retired because who would have the time for all this if they had a job?!

So back to an earlier question:
    Is there an easy way to remove Torbutton(which some articles say cause this drag and drop problem in Firefox I'm experiencing) and is there any downside for doing this?

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Tools/addons is it listed there under extensions?

If so, click remove and when you reboot the browser, it should be gone.

From this https://www.torproject.org/torbutton/
    maybe it is called Tor Browser Bundle. since it has a different version of FF and doesn;t work properly, that may explain all the browser problems.

5. lebowl

lebowl Private E-2

I was able to mostly solve my Firefox, Internet Explorer, and Google Chrome problems by myself even though I am at pre beginner level. I did not want to wipe everything out and do a reinstallation as Dell suggested because last time I did that(around 3 weeks ago) I spent around 20 hours on the phone with Dell doing the reinstallation.

Here's what I did:

1. After much experimenting I realized that if I wait 30 seconds to a minute the drag and drop actually works in Firefox and the "Firefox is not responding" message disappears.. After that first time requiring a long wait, the drag and drop functions normally(instantaneously).

2. I couldn't successfully install IE version 9 because this required installing some preliminary programs which I couldn't accomplish. So instead I installed IE version 8 and this got rid of the warning message(about Youtube not supporting IE 7) I was getting whenever I played a YouTube video.

3. The big Google Chrome problem(constantly getting Driver display has stopped working and recovered) somehow disappeared by itself.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds