Cannot get on internet with Master drive but slave I can.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by c0796, Jan 8, 2011.

1. c0796

c0796 Private E-2

The prompt and excellent advice here from earlier was greatly appreciated, here's another issue...been a bad week :(

I fired up my old computer to get on here and ask this. When booting up on Master drive I cannot get on the internet. Booted to slave drive and I can. I didn't uninstall any drivers from the other drive so what can I do to try and pinpoint the problem?

XP SP3

2. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

First, you can dig into Network Connections.

It's been a while since I used XP, but here goes:

Start>Contol Panel>Network Connections>Right Click on your active connection>Select "Repair"

That's the most basic. After that, it gets a bit more intense...

P.S.

Do you have your jumpers set correctly? (i.e., Master, Slave, Cable Select)

3. c0796

c0796 Private E-2

Yes jumpers are good. I was using that computer up until 2 months ago, then bought a new one. The 'repair' network connection didn't work but I also decided to shut the computer off after trying. Have spent way too many hours dealing with problems on XP so might as well close the thread, I will probably just format the drive and put 7 on it instead, no sense in dicking around with XP anymore.

Thanks again for suggestion though, nothing is that easy for me! :p

4. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

Everyone seems to be raving about Ubuntu.

I started a thread to get user feedback on it.

Maybe better than XP? And, it's free.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds