Cannot get the OK to Safely remove Hardware.

Discussion in 'Software' started by Poppi22, Oct 10, 2009.

1. Poppi22

Poppi22 Private E-2

After I have installed an SD card in my installed laptop reader and transfered files, when I request to "Safely Remove Hardware" I get the message..."The device "Generic Volume" cannot be stopped right now. Try stopping the device again later."

What is up with this and how do I overcome it? Does it really matter if I remove the SD card without getting the OK to do so? This is a recent change as I previously did not have this difficulty.

Thanks

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

That message indicates that the device thinks that its last operation is incomplete, which is possible, or it might be a false alert. Either way, if it stays that way you will eventually either have to remove it or shut down.

You could try repeating the last operation, or if possible checking that everything you moved is where it should be before pulling it.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

At times this is caused by your AV scanner still either scanning the removable device or locked it.

So try this option http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555665

To be honest, and this is my preference so not going to be everyones choice and is not a do like me type of answer but just mentioned where I'm at with this topic, is that reading alot on surprise removal (this article http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/archive/XPrem-devs.mspx for one) is that if the device has stopped data transfer its not going to cause issue and has not for me in the last 6yrs, very rare I eject a USB pen or media card, I do though with USB pens and HDDs format them to NTFS as NTFS is less prone to data corruption than FAT32, but this is not advisable for media cards as the device they are used in may not accept NTFS file format as usable as many only like FAT or FAT32.

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I get that sometime; I wait, do other things and try later and I can remove the device.

5. alan12345

alan12345 Private E-2

Even if Windows Explorer is minimised, it is aware of my Flash Drive and I cannot safely remove the flash drive until all instances of Windows Explorer and similar utilities are closed.

Alan

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds