Cannot Install Flash Player

Discussion in 'Software' started by Skysarge, Feb 24, 2017.

1. Skysarge

Skysarge First Sergeant

I know this was posted earlier. I tried to sort through all of it, but succeeded only in confusing myself.
    I tried updating 2.0 to the 2.4, thorough Adobe, download cancels
    I deleted old flash files, tried downloading again. Same results
    Tried to download IEx version or through IEx, same results. Thought maybe "Swahili" version might work.
    I cannot get FP downloaded. I get partially through download, and FP cancels every time.
    I am getting headaches from beating my head against the computer desk. My wall has so many holes in it from beating my head there, I have no place to beat my head against it.
    Whiskey Tango Foxtrot I gotta do to get FP loaded?

Sarge

2. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

It depends what your normal Web Browser is. If you use Firefox then just navigate to https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ using that browser, wait for a few seconds make sure you uncheck any optional offer in the centre of the window, then download it and install it.
    The current version is 24.0.0.221.

Use this link if you are unsure and select your exact operating system and browser:
    https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/

3. Skysarge

Skysarge First Sergeant

4. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

The Firefox flash plug in applies to all versions of Firefox.
    I've no idea what you mean by disconnected sadly.
    You have to save the downloaded file to your desktop, then CLOSE all web browsers, and run the install.

5. Skysarge

Skysarge First Sergeant

The message I get is
    "Download Failed"
    The procedure I follow is:
    Go to Adobe site
    Select Install Adobe Flashplayer
    That brings up Save, which I do. If I do not save, it does not continue download
    "Save File" is shown as Flashplayer24_1_Install.exe, I select Save File
    That saves the file under Display Progress of Ongoing Downloads
    I select that which then shows the Flashplayer24_1_Install.exe file
    I cue that, and the installer begins download (initializing)
    Installation then stops and message Download Failed appears.
    It offers Retry and option of changing to Chrome or IEx or Firefox/
    I do not have Chrome, but changing selection to IEx or Firefox nets same results.

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

For FF, Palemoon and Cyberfox
    Code:
    https://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/flashplayer/latest/help/install_flash_player.exe
    I download one update then put the file on a USB stick and install it on the other three computers.

I updated 3 browsers FF, PM and CF on two Win 7 computers and 2 browsers FF and PM on two Win 7 computers. I updated 2 browsers FF and PM on an XP computer.

7. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Something on your system is stopping a complete download. Could be some security software maybe. BUT you do need to try at least 2 or 3 different web browsers - to download the file - to see if it is a system problem.

8. Skysarge

Skysarge First Sergeant

Changing browser selection to IEx or Firefox nets same results.
    I then unsuccessfully tried downloading the Opera browser, to try it. The download status bar shows no activity even after a prolonged wait.

9. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

I'm not 100% clear what you mean by 'browser selection' but if it does mean that you have, one by one, launched 3 different web browsers separately, and not been able to simply download the adobe flash install file, then clearly something on your system itself is causing it.

10. Skysarge

Skysarge First Sergeant

I have not been able to download the adobe flash player, despite having tried to do so with 3 different browsers. In each case the download stops and I get the message Download Failed
    I also tried to download an additional browser, Opera, but could not.

11. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

So I'm assuming - as you aren't saying that much - that currently you can't download anything successfully at all on your system.
    To confirm that you simply need to try and download anything (not Adobe!), eg some other software program, to see if it downloads and saves as a complete file on your desktop.
    If nothing will download fully and successfully on your system, then you have a problem unconnected with Adobe.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
  12. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

MaxTurner likes this.
  13. Skysarge

Skysarge First Sergeant

14. Earthling

and on speedtest, as I asked?

15. Skysarge

Skysarge First Sergeant

Ran again, both on Speed Test
    2d time 23.17

16. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

If that is your download speed (23.17 mbs per second) then your connection is not the issue.
    Please answer the earlier question - have you tried to download something else (ie a small file like CCleaner Slim) and been able to save its file to your desktop???

17. Skysarge

Skysarge First Sergeant

Tried unsuccessfully to download browser Opera (msg #10)

18. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

I was suggesting a small file not really something 50mbs plus. But anyway, it seems something on your system is blocking downloads. It could be some kind of security software or Firewall setting.
    You can test that by temporarily disabling your Firewall and your Anti-Virus real time protection, then trying again to download something SMALL like CCleaner Slim - if it works, just delete it after.
    If you still can't download anything with all security software disabled, then I don't know what is causing it.
    If you can remember the last time you were able to successfully download something, and there is a System Restore point at or before that time, you can try restoring your system to that time.

19. Skysarge

Skysarge First Sergeant

cc cleaner loaded
    '
    Sorry for delay,

cc cleaner loaded

20. Earthling

Does this comp display any erratic behaviour - sudden crashes or hangs for example but OK on reboot? I'm wondering if you might be getting memory errors that don't occur on quick operations, like d/loading ccleaner, but can do so when d/loading large files. Just speculation but yours is a very unusual problem.

21. Skysarge

Skysarge First Sergeant

About the only problem is with some sites, ie news, you tube,etc, screen jumps occasionally and I have to scroll back to where I was. No sudden crashes or the like

22. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds