Cannot Load XP when I changed the drive letter

Discussion in 'Software' started by Louisd11, Jun 16, 2005.

1. Louisd11

Louisd11 Private First Class

So I was always wanting to change the drive letter of my primary hard drice from F: to C: so I followed the tourtrial from http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;223188 so I can change my drive letter because I couldn't change the drive letter from the "Manage" too. So I followed the steps I renamed something from C to H: and the renamed the registry from F: to C: so I restarted my computer and then the Windows screen with the blue backgoirund comes up. And it just stays there the whole time so do I have to restart windows or am is there a way out? I also DO NOT have a backup of my registry. All though I do use spybot which does do a system restore.

2. Louisd11

Louisd11 Private First Class

Also some other notes:
    I do have the XP install disk
    It alos doesn't work in safe mode

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

That article from MS is only IF you HD letter has mysteriously changed from say C: > F: not for changing a install location drive letter

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds