Cannot log into XP (wireless config error)

Discussion in 'Software' started by arachnian, Nov 28, 2008.

1. arachnian

arachnian Private E-2

Hello, all-

I have a Dell Inspiron 1501 with a 60g harddrive (and Windows XP), and about a week ago I decided to upgrade. I bought a 250g Sata, attached it externally and ghosted my old hard drive onto the new one with Norton, then switched the places of the old and the new. It booted normally, but when I tried to log in (as Administrator) it almost immediately switched to "Logging off..." and sat like this for about ten minutes before the login screen came up again. I tried again and this time saw that an error message flashed up just before it logged me off, but it was only for a split second, not long enough to read it; also, the logging off time was much shorter, about three seconds.

It repeated this performance every time; finally, I used my camera to capture a video of it, watched it frame-by-frame, and found that the error message is titled Wireless Configuration and goes, "Notification dll has not been registered, program will not work correctly."

I've been searching all over and have found that while many people have gotten this particular error message, no one is actually force-logged off like me. (Obviously, I'm on a friend's computer now.) I have no idea what's going on; can anyone help?

2. Sharagoz

Sharagoz Private First Class

Can you boot into safe mode?
    If you can, try to run the below command in CMD and reboot into normal mode
    regsvr32 broadcom.dll

If that doesnt work, you might want to try to uninstall the device from the 'device manager' in safe mode, then it should reinstall automatically in normal mode.

3. arachnian

arachnian Private E-2

Thanks for the advice. I did try safe mode, but the same thing happened. So as far as I can tell, there's no way for me to log in at all. :p

4. Sharagoz

Sharagoz Private First Class

Do you have an original XP disk for the computer?
    Then I would recommend you run a repair install on the new HD.
    This will leave your programs and personal files alone while re-installing the operating system. Its usually a good idea to backup beforehand to be on the safe side, but you already have that taken care of with the old HD as backup.

5. arachnian

arachnian Private E-2

Sorry it took so long to reply.

I ran the repair disk, which did not completely solve the problem but at least allowed me to log in (thanks! :) ). There were yet more issues with the new drive, however, so in the end I just reinstalled Windows XP and manually moved all my files and whatnot.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds