Cannot maintain a homepage in WinXP

Discussion in 'Software' started by jwp444, Aug 6, 2004.

1. jwp444

jwp444 Private E-2

About the same time I downloaded ZoneAlarm Pro, I cannot maintain any designated homepage...every time I exit IE & reenter, it comes up with a default homepage.....what gives? I have ZoneAlarm turned off, and I still can't maintain a homepage.

2. jgolin

jgolin Private E-2

what's the default home page that comes uP?

3. pegg

pegg MajorGeek

Um - "about the same time" -- or exactly the same time you downloaded this program...?

4. jwp444

jwp444 Private E-2

The default is always "res://magyh.dll/index.html#37049", and I'm not certain that it did in fact start with the ZoneAlarm download...I also downloaded an updated version of Norton Antivirus the same day, for example.

5. pegg

pegg MajorGeek

Did you install Norton before installing Zone Alarm?
    Did you have a firewall before installing Zone Alarm?

Have you gone to the "Spyware" section and read some of the "stickys" (notes at the top) and downloaded some of the programs there that you think might help first (to scan for a virus or a "hijacking").

Unless someone comes on soon to show how Zone Alarm can effect your Home Page, I would think you'll have to search and ask this question in the Spyware Section.

6. jwp444

jwp444 Private E-2

no, and I don't think so.

7. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

I agree with Pegg. It sounds as if you have been infected with a home page high jacker, such as Cool Web Search or a variant. Do you have SpyBot Search and Destroy or AdAware installed? Both should show the problem if you have it. I will leave the removal procecures to more experienced members, as I screwed up my own computer trying to remove the offending files.

8. pegg

pegg MajorGeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds