cannot make a system restore point in vista

Discussion in 'Software' started by ambercat, Aug 14, 2008.

1. ambercat

ambercat Private E-2

Hi, I hope someone can help me. I tried to restore my laptop today and found there were no restore points. I tried to create one but get the message that access is denied then it says 0x80070005. I have tried a few times to no avail. My laptop does not make them automatically either. I have an acer 7720g and am using vista. I have avg 8 but tried without it and still no system restore. Please help as I am concerned that if I really need it sometime I will not have it to turn to.
    Thanking you in advance
    JAn

2. Cat_w_9_lives

Cat_w_9_lives Major KittyCat

you can try this, worked for some...

"Error: 0x80070005 - When trying to create a manual restore point the following error message may be displayed - Access is Denied"

http://bertk.mvps.org/html/eerrormsgsv.html

3. ambercat

ambercat Private E-2

Still doesn't work but thank you for replying

4. Cat_w_9_lives

5. ambercat

ambercat Private E-2

Still nothing-this is driving me mad-have spent ages online looking but no joy. There's a hint a service pack may be at fault but I'm not that technical so am not really sure.
    Thanks for your help again though

6. Cat_w_9_lives

Last edited: Aug 14, 2008
  7. Cat_w_9_lives

Other ideas is your clock in sync. Also read the Norton can cause, so wondering if AVG 8 might be causing... will look again tomorrow if someone does not come up with something.

8. ambercat

ambercat Private E-2

Mrs

I uninstalled AVG but still no joy so installed it again. I didn't try safe mode as the link was for doing a restore whereas I just want to create a restore point. I could not do a restore in safe mode even if i wanted to as there are no restore points made.
    I saw somewhere it may be to do with permissions but I haven't a clue what i would need to change as I am administrator and I do not share the laptop.
    Am confused and very fed up-will maybe just have to live without it.

9. Cat_w_9_lives

Go to Backup and Restore Center, click Create a restore point or change settings in the left pane, is your hard drive checked? Look in services is it started?

10. ambercat

ambercat Private E-2

yes it is checked but if i try to get a restore point i still get access is denied with the same fault number. E-mailed acer and they suggested doing a system recovery but I dont want to wipe everything off my machine. My son has a pc with vista and his is fine so I'm sure it must be my settings somewhere but so many people have had the same problem its strange.

11. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Check to see if Task Scheduler service is set to automatic and running in Services list as its needed to allow System Restore to run.

Also as you may have corrupted system files I would run chkdsk on your C: drive. To do this click Computer, right click the drive and choose Properties > click the Tools tab and then Error Checking and make sure fix errors is ticked.

12. ambercat

ambercat Private E-2

yes it is running and is on automatic.
    Did a check-noyjing seems to be wrong.
    Was wondering about service packs-how can I find if I have them and should I have them. Seem to remember having to instal something before I could install AVG

13. Cat_w_9_lives

Click Start, right click Computer then click Properties

A window will come up, top area will give you Windows Edition and if SP1 (service pack) is installed it will be listed in that area. When you set up the computer did you visit Acer for updates...

14. ambercat

ambercat Private E-2

Hooray, it's working. I didn't have SP1 so went to windows update and installed it and all is now well.
    Thank you all for your help-much appreciated-didn't even know there was a service pack for vista until this happened but it's nice to know I'm learning all the time.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds