Cannot open 99.99% of web pages

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Yog-Sothoth, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Yog-Sothoth

Yog-Sothoth Private E-2

I am dealing with a computer at a group home. When I open explorer it gives me the no connection error. It cannot open 99.99% webpages but it does have internet access; I can ping external servers, and I can open the webpage that is used for employees to clock in and out but that is the only page I have found to work.

When I dial into our main server with a VPN it suddenly gains the ability to open webpages.

Note: This is the case wether "use default gateway on remote network" is checked or uncheked.

Note: the firewall is off

How can a computer have the internet but not be able to use the web?

2. Yog-Sothoth

Yog-Sothoth Private E-2

Upon further experimentation it seems that if I open web pages when the VPN is active and then disconnect from the VPN I can open those pages, but absolutly no others.

This problem makes no sense!

3. Yog-Sothoth

Yog-Sothoth Private E-2

Okay, I figured it out, no thanks to you guys, ;). Seems some idiot had gone into internet options and set it to only use a proxy server.

4. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

We appreciate you coming back and posting the resolution even if no one "helped" you. Thanks.:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds