Cannot open .MSC files

Discussion in 'Software' started by Anyr, May 21, 2009.

1. Anyr

Anyr Private E-2

Okay, I'm using Windows Vista Home Premium. Last night I went to go to Computer Management (right-click on Computer and click Manage) and I get dialog box asking how to open the file (what program to use and all that jazz). Now I cannot open .MSC files. Anyone know how to fix this problem?

2. Drizzles

Drizzles First Sergeant

3. Anyr

Anyr Private E-2

Okay, I do all the stuff in those guides already. I believe it was CCleaner itself that deleted the .MSC extension because it was "unused" so it says.
    I'll try the suggestions you offered and get back to you on the results.

4. Anyr

Anyr Private E-2

@Drizzles: I ran the chkdsk and then booted to safe mode and ran the sfc but it didn't help. But no worries!

@DomLuc: I do registry backups every time and luckily I was able to search through the file contents of all my registry backups and found the file where it was deleted the first time, readded the contents of that backup, and blam, it works! Much thanks!

Problem solved! Thank you both for your help!

5. Drizzles

Drizzles First Sergeant

Agreed

6. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Every post I've ever seen about CCleaner says it is safe to use, and in my experience that is so, but I shan't ever be running it again without taking the backup option :-o

7. footscray

footscray Private E-2

SOLVED FOR ME.
    I had the same problem and spent hours trawling the net. Some of the solutions are mind numbing.

Cut and paste this link:

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

Although it states XP, I used it on my Vista Home and, Bingo.

8. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

I have the same OS as you and have had the same problem. Seems to be a glitch with the registry cleaner in cCleaner, you have to uncheck file associations when running.

Fixing is easy. Start..Control Panel..Associate a file..set your default programs. Highlight the .msc file, click change program, find Microsoft Management Console in c:\windows\win.sxs and choose that.

Are you using the latest version of ccleaner because I think, maybe, this has been fixed?

9. footscray

footscray Private E-2

Checked the file assoc - shows mmc. Maybe its because I used the registry fix provided by Doug Knox.

Thanks for your time.
    ps. just downloaded the latest cCleaner and unticked the ms management box - just in case

Footscrayhttp://forums.majorgeeks.com/images/smilies/tounge.gif

10. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

You're welcome. I don't know what you mean by the MS management box. I prevent this problem by unticking the "unused file extensions" in the registry cleaner. Just FYI.

Happy surfing!

11. footscray

footscray Private E-2

In CCleaner
    Applications/Windows/MS Management Console - Untick box
    ok

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds