Cannot Print from Wireless Laptop to Wired Desktop Printer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by djblacksmith, Jun 18, 2011.

1. djblacksmith

djblacksmith Private E-2

This is a likely a common thread. I did try reading trhough similar ones, to no avail.

Scene:

Desktop running Windows 7; Printer connected via ethernet port from wireless router. Printer works fine from the dektop.

Laptop running Windows XP and connecting wirelessly. Printer driver is installed on the laptop.

The question is: How do I set the Laptop to "see" the printer, or at least to know where to send the "info" to be printed? I've looked a a number of things online and tried many ways to set it up, but none work ... so far.

Help?

2. handygal

handygal First Sergeant

You said that the printer is connected via ethernet to the router. This would imply that the printer is a network printer and not attached to any computer.

The setup for both computers should be the same. Network printers for home use come with (also downloadable) install software from the manufacturer that will search for the printer on the network and set it up. If that is not functioning, there are manual install instructions that generally involve going through Add a Printer > Local Printer Port (but uncheck the box re detecting the printer) and adding a device, usually a standard tcp/ip print server. The steps vary depending on the printer.

What brand/model is the printer?

3. djblacksmith

djblacksmith Private E-2

Thanks for replying ... had not thought about that.

You asked for printer and model: The printer is a Dell 1320C Color Laser.

So, you're saying that I should install or reinstall the printer software and somewhere along the installation process I will be given some way to say that this is a network printer? For the record, Windows 7 made it really simple for my desktop computer to find the printer. I did not have to reinstall Dell printer-specific software. My wrestling is at the laptop that has Windows XP Pro.

4. handygal

handygal First Sergeant

That printer is generally not a network printer. It is attached by a USB to the Windows 7 computer? The procedure is different if the printer is dependent upon a computer on the network to function.

5. djblacksmith

djblacksmith Private E-2

No ... the Dell 1320C came with a network card installed. I have used it for a year or so connected with a USB, HOWEVER, just recently switched to using an ethernet cable to connect it to the Router. This gave us easier access to the printer for my son's desktop in another room (also connected via ethernet/router). My issue is with the laptop which connects wirelessly (on a different floor than where the router and desktop is).

For the record: My computer setup looks like this (no graphics)

Cable Modem connected to Router
    2 Desktops and Dell 1320C Printer connected to the Router with ethernet cables
    1 Laptop connected wirelessly

So ... where do we go from here? (By the way, I genuinely appreciate your responses ... wherever they lead)

6. handygal

handygal First Sergeant

Perfect, printer on the network.

There is still two ways and I prefer the manual way. There are instructions HERE but i have no idea what Dyton refers to and I'm fairly certain that is not the default name of the printer. I would use the printer's IP address in place of Dyton.

7. djblacksmith

djblacksmith Private E-2

Sweet ... that worked. Thanks for your time and investment. I truly don't take it for granted.

~david

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds