Cannot rename computer

Discussion in 'Software' started by BulletSponge62485, Dec 4, 2008.

1. BulletSponge62485

BulletSponge62485 Private E-2

I've tried to rename the computer name of a computer in my school so that it's uniform with the rest of my computers. I go in change the name, and the login screen pops up asking for the username and password of a account that can rename the computer. I put the administrator account in, and it comes back. "The following error occured attempting to rename the computer to "???????": the user name could not be found. Please help. This is on a xp machine.

2. buggabear

buggabear MajorGeek

is this computer networked if so do you have administrative privileges

3. BulletSponge62485

Yes the computer is networked and yes I have admin rights. I am one of the administrators. We re-imaged two machines and are attempting to rename the two re-imaged machines so that there is no conflict on the network.

4. buggabear

buggabear MajorGeek

Have you tried disconnecting from the network then re naming it. ?
    When you re imaged it was it connected to the network?
    Did you use the OS from the network server?

5. BulletSponge62485

Disconnecting from the network and then renaming it and then rejoining the domain worked! Thank you very much!

6. buggabear

buggabear MajorGeek

Glad it worked.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds