Cannot restart automatically and no AVAST icon on R taskbar

Discussion in 'Software' started by mongooseba, Sep 20, 2013.

1. mongooseba

mongooseba Corporal

Hi All,

TimW has checked that I'm free from malware and advised me to seek help from this forum.

1. I am not able to restart the computer normally
    2. I do not see the AVAST icon on the lower right taskbar. However, if I activate the AVAST, the icon will appear. It seems that something is stopping the icon from appearing. However, the other icons are present e.g. clock, volume etc

What should I do? Thanks for all your help in advance.

Sincerely,

Mongooseba:-o

2. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, mongooseba.

First thing I suggest trying is to upgrade to Service Pack #3 - seems like I remember SP3 addressing some SP2 restart issues. The link I provided is for a stand-alone package.

3. Caliban

Regarding the avast! icon - just for s&g make sure the tray icon box is checked in the program's basic settings. Probably is but you might check it anyway.

4. mongooseba

mongooseba Corporal

Hi Caliban,

I am in the process of updating to Service Pack 3. Will reply once this is done. I have checked the basic Avast setting to activate the icon when the computer boots. What is S&G?

Thanks.

Mongooseba

5. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

Hey buddy, you can try and right-click the Start button, click Properties, click Taskbar, then click Customize, and see if the Avast icon is set to Always Show.

6. Caliban

Nice shot by Nick T - simple.

"Sh|ts and giggles" = Poor attempt at humor.

7. mongooseba

mongooseba Corporal

Thanks for the S&G.

Mongooseba

8. mongooseba

mongooseba Corporal

Hi NickT,

Right clicked the start/properties/Taskbar. I'm on XP Pro, Ser Pack III (just did the upgrade to Sev Pack III). I do not have "Customize." However, I do have show clock and no activation of inactive icons. I also have the "keep the taskbar on top of the other windows."

Mogooseba

9. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

There's no Customize button at the bottom of the taskbar tab next to Hide Inactive Icons?? You did put a check in the box in Avast basic settings to Show Avast Tray Icon ??

10. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

11. mongooseba

mongooseba Corporal

Hi Nick T,

Which item should I activate? Thanks.

Mongooseba

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds