cannot retreive data from dvd

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ozdog, Dec 31, 2005.

1. Ozdog

Ozdog Private E-2

Could someone please help me, i have some data saved to a dvd but cannot view or retreive it, on "disc properties" it shows the data taking nearly all the disc space, but "disc contents" shows nothing. Scan disc says all is ok. What else can I try??

2. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

It sounds like you may have not finalised (closed the session) when it was burnt. ie it's an unfinalised multisession.

Use your burning software and try closing it.

3. Ozdog

Ozdog Private E-2

You are probably right and thanks, but I did it with Roxio drag to disc and there doesn't seem to be a facility to finalise the disc. I know that the info is there but I just cannot access it, any other ideas, please???

4. Insomniac

I only use Nero, but Roxio has that feature.

In fact just about every burning program has that feature.

Read the help file, or maybe a Roxio user here will post?

Roxio also have a utility you can download that will allow you to see the contents of an unfinalised disc, but I don't know if it will allow you to access them.

If I am correct, the easiest and probably the only way is to finalise it.

5. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

IIRC under Roxio the Finalize Disc option is under the Burn to Disc>Record setup option.

6. Insomniac

There you go, thanks Yargwel. ;)

If that doesn't work, post back with more info.

7. Ozdog

Ozdog Private E-2

Thanks guys, but am still having trouble, I have an old version of Roxio 6. When I go into drag to disc I cannot find anything that relates to finalising the disc it just tells me that it will format the disc as required. If I try the other Roxio facilities it tells me that Drag to disc is currently using the disc. Scan disc tells me that I need to format the disc to continue but then tells me that if I take this option then I will be unable to read any files. So I have not done this. I have tried an older computer and it shows the files but cannot access them.
    Oz.

8. Insomniac

Firstly, don't use drag to disc, it's very buggy (especially with large files) and has limited features.

Don't format or you will lose your data, unless that's what you want.

So back to the problem, you can't see the files on your primary PC, but you can see them on an older computer, and how did you try to access them and what happened?

If it's telling you that Drag to Disc is currently using the disc, try killing Roxio software running in the background, then see if you can locate the finalise option.

To kill it, try Ctrl + Alt + Delete then in the processes tab, end any Roxio files that are active.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds