Cannot run Steam in "Offline Mode".

Discussion in 'Software' started by Insomniac, Jul 28, 2005.

1. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

I have a retail version of Half Life 2 which has the latest updates via Steam.

It won't let me play in Offline Mode.

I've tried all the recommendations, including unchecking "Don't save account information on this computer" and reinstalling Steam and Half Life 2.

Steam's support site indicates that it should work in offline mode, and even emailing them hasn't come up with an answer.

It's a pity that such a long awaited and awesome game can be soured by a draconian and buggy authentication method. :(

2. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

although I cant give you much info, there are ways to spoof an internet connection so that STEAM works properly. Google it. No PM please.

3. 20Valve

20Valve Sergeant

I might be stating the obvious - but you do need the CD in the drive when not connected to the internet.

4. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

nope - steam authentication is based through the net

5. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

All you gotta do is block steam with windows firewall,I havnt tried it with any other firewall,windows works fine. :)

6. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

No, blocking it or being physically disconnected from the Internet doesn't work.

I have also tried Steam's recommendation of deleting the Client file to no avail.

Oh well, I guess this game will be going back for a refund. :(

** Making legitimate, paying customers jump through hoops, just to play a game they have purchased, would have to be one of the dumbest ideas ever thought of **

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds