Cannot see files on hard drive even though they aren't 'hidden'.

Discussion in 'Software' started by miamidice, Dec 19, 2011.

1. miamidice

miamidice Private E-2

I recently restored my Windows 7 OS to an earlier point in time on my laptop as I got a virus so thought this would be the best way to get rid of it.

However, after I restored I got an error message saying something went wrong. When I rebooted my computer, many files were showing as being missing in the folders, even though the capacity of the folder is the same (e.g. my video folder is still showing I have 100gb of stuff in there but when you click on it it's empty). I know I still have these files on the hard drive as if I right-click on a video folder and click 'play with vlc' then it still plays the media files in there, but if I click through to the folder all it displays is a system information file.

Even if transfer a folder onto a USB stick, it still shows that all the data has been transferred, but when I open the folder it says there are no files in there. Does anyone have any idea what's wrong, and how I can fix this? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

2. miamidice

miamidice Private E-2

One more thing I should point out is these files are not marked as being 'hidden'.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  3. _nullptr

_nullptr Major Geeky Geek Geek

Go into Control Panel > Folder Options > View, select 'Show hidden files and folders' and also uncheck 'Hide protected operating system files'.
    Are you now able to see the files?

4. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

Restoring has no guarantee. :)
    The infection seems to have changed the attributes of the files on the machine to hidden (+H).
    Head over to the Read & Run.
    Post the requested logs in Malware Removal.

Cheers..

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds