Cannot send email via Outlook Express

Discussion in 'Software' started by bigbazza, Mar 15, 2005.

1. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

I am trying to assist a friend sending emails through Outlook Express in XP.

We can log into OE. It asks for name and password. Server is POP3 (is this right). We enter name and password. Press OK..

Select Outbox, select email we want to send.

Press send/recv. Error comes up as follows

"The host 'POP3' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly. Account 'POP3'. Server 'POP3'. Protocol 'POP3" Port 995. Secure (SSL) Yes. Socket Error 11001. Error Number 0x800CCC0D

What the hell does all this mean?

We have gone into Tools-->Accounts-->Properties.

We have another window with 5 tabs as folows

General, Servers, Connection, Security, Advanced.

I am at a loss to know what to type where.

Hope someone can help.

Bazza

2. Strogg

Strogg 5-Star Freakin' Geek

you'll need to replace pop3 with your email server name, which is something like "pop3.mail.yourdomain.com"

3. bigbazza

Strogg, thanks for the quick reply across the world. We will try and figure out what the email server name is. We may be back again later. Bazza

===

4. bigbazza

Finally solved the problem with the help of bigpond.com technical help desk.
    Got onto a very helpful young bloke. We eventually agreed that it was a clash between XP, Outlook Express, Norton's AV and Zone Alarm.

Eventually I uninstalled Norton's, downloaded and installed Avast.
    Set up the lady as the default user in Outlook Express.
    Set up the POP3 stuff correctly.

I sent an email from her PC to my laptop (side by side) and then sent a reply from my laptop to her PC. Both worked OK so she is happy.

She now has a firewall and an easy anti-virus software installed and her email works.
    She is not a power user and I am learning XP so it took 2 long sessions of 3-4 hours to sort it all out.

Thanks again Strogg for the hint. Her defaults were all wrong and this put us on the right path.

Need another session to install Cleanup! http://www.stevengould.org/
    EmpTemp http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=1575
    and CrapCleaner aka CCleaner http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4191

as well as a Registry Cleaner, a world clock program and some others.

Bazza

5. whicky1978

whicky1978 Staff Sergeant

I also am having email problems.

I have turned off my Norton email scanning. I can recieve emails with my MS Outlook, but not recieve.

I am running Win. XP

Attached Files:

6. whicky1978

whicky1978 Staff Sergeant

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds