Cannot "share" files/folders on LAN

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DCO57, Aug 10, 2004.

1. DCO57

DCO57 Private E-2

Fellow Geeks,
    I've just installed Norton 2004 AV and follwed the instructions for allowing my other PC through the firewall. I'ved had this LAN for years now, so all the other settings (NetBuei, fire sharing, etc) is all configured correctly.
    The network isn't working and the main thing that stands out is that the "sharing" isn't listed when I right click on a drive, folder, or file. In the past I had problems setting up this LAN and once I "shared" certian folders and files, the network then came to life. So I'm sure that once I can get the sharing option listed, I can finish setting this LAN up.
    Does anyone know why "Sharing" wouldn't be listed in my right click menu, even though I have "File and printer sharing" enabled?
    Major thanks in advance.
    DCO57

2. Coco

Coco Sergeant Major

Are you using windows 98? It sounds like 98 or 98se to me but you never actually said and that's very important.

It's been quite awhile since I've networked 98 machines but enabling file and printer sharing in the network configuration window should make it show up in your context menus (right click menu). After enabling it, you will ahev to reset before it actually adds the options though. If it still doesn't show your best bet is actually uncheck the option reset and then reselect it and reset again and it should come up.

Also, netbuei is an old protocol and it's very chatty (wastes a lot of bandwitdth). Unless you've got something really old like windows 3.11 machines you don't really need it. TCP/IP works just fine. So long as each computer has an ip which is on the same subnet.

3. DCO57

DCO57 Private E-2

CoCo,
    Thanks for replying,
    Yes, my main PC is Win98SE. My #2 PC is XP. I reserve PC#2 for my recording studio and the reason I still use Win 98 is that I have alot of older MIDI software that I need on a seperate PC (seperate from XP) and these apps won't work on XP. Besides, I feel that 98 is still fine for the internet and most misc apps.
    The network kit I'm using is a Soho 10/100 etherent that comes with two PCI cards and a hub. They state in the manual to use Netbeui.Maybe I'll remove it and see if TCP/IP alone will work with it.
    But the main problem seems to be that I can't share anything. All my hardware reports fine in Device manager and all my network configs seem OK. I have Filke and Printer sharing enabled, but my context menus don't list "sharing". I'm sure that once I share folders and files my network will spring to life.
    You mention to reset the network configs after enabling file/printer sharing, or to disable then re-enable it and reset it. I'll try it.
    Thanks again for your help. I'll try to return the favor to this forum by looking for questions that I can help with.
    DCO

4. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

5. DCO57

DCO57 Private E-2

cat5e,
    Thanks, I'll check out those links. They indeed look like they describe my problem exactly.
    Thanks alot.
    DCO

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds