cannot turn off xp firewall

Discussion in 'Software' started by simonsky96, May 29, 2011.

1. simonsky96

simonsky96 Private E-2

as per this site's suggestion i installed comodo pro.

but i cannot turn off windows firewall. when i go to security center it says it is on but when i click on it (to see the part where you disable or enable it) it is ticked as disabled. and to verify that it is really on, it pops up sometimes when i try to run an app.

2. Heavenly

Heavenly Private E-2

I wouldnt worry too much about it. Whether you have Commodo or Zone alarm firewalls installed they will do there jobs and windows firewall wont interfere and it shouldnt. :D

3. thisisu

thisisu Malware Consultant

try to do it through command line:

Start > Run
    Then type: netsh firewall set opmode disable

4. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

1. Click Start, click Run, type Firewall.cpl, and then click OK.
    2. On the General tab, click Off (not recommended).
    3. Click OK.

or....
    Disabling the Firewall Using Local Policy.....
    This method is for IT administrators with administrative access to unmanaged systems or locally managed systems where the machine is not part of a Windows 2000 or higher domain.

1. From the Start menu, select Run, then enter gpedit.msc.
    2. Expand the Computer Configuration folder, then the Administrative Templates folder.
    3. Expand the Network folder, then the Network Connections folder, then the Windows Firewall folder.
    4. Select the Standard Profile folder.
    5. Double-click the Windows Firewall: Protect all network connections option.
    6. Select Disabled, then click OK.
    7. Select the Domain Profile folder.
    8. Double-click the Windows Firewall: Protect all network connections option.
    9. Select Disabled, then click OK.
    10. Close the Group Policy dialog box.

or....
    Under the or pick a Control Panel icon section, click on the Network Connections link.
    In the Network Connections window, right-click on your network connection and choose Properties.

Note: If you have a "high speed" Internet connection like Cable or DSL, or are on a network of some kind, your network connection will likely be titled Local Area Connection.

Choose the Advanced tab in the Properties window of your network connection.
    In the Windows Firewall section under the Advanced tab, click on the Settings... button.
    Choose the Off (not recommended) radio button in the Windows Firewall window.
    Click OK in this window and click OK again in the Properties window of your network connection.
    You can now close the Network Connections window.

iain.t :major

5. simonsky96

simonsky96 Private E-2

tried all. the disabled/off button stays ticked but still, when i look at security center it says it is on.

6. thisisu

thisisu Malware Consultant

mmm, possibly my last idea, i know this affects antivirus cache from security, not too sure about win firewall.

anyways...
    open command prompt again
    type in: net stop "Windows Management Instrumentation"
    press enter
    then type : rmdir /s /q "%windir%\system32\wbem\repository"
    press enter
    type in "y" for Yes if prompted
    type : net start "Windows Management Instrumentation"
    press enter
    type exit to exit the command prompt window
    reboot pc for changes to occur

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds