Cannot Understand Why Firefox 5.0 Uses Almost 800MB

Discussion in 'Software' started by Boris_yo, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Boris_yo

Boris_yo Private E-2

Contrary to many statements that Firefox 5.0 is RAM optimized and uses less, i still have Firefox eating almost ~800MB of RAM and mapping more:

[​IMG]

Earlier it was not until 3 days without closing Firefox until it was consuming more than 700MB but now it does so after half a day.

I used command:

Code:
    about:memory
    And was presented with a modules/extension tree and i don't understand what each means. Does anybody here have experience or knowledge about this here who could tell me where may be the problem?

Plugins installed

Extensions installed

2. FED UP

FED UP MajorGeek

Mozilla is aware of the memory leaks and is allegedly working on the problem(s) . I have 8gigs ram and dont worry too much about it. My current uptime is about 2 hours and Firefox is eating about 120mb.

3. oma

oma MajorGeek

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  4. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Bwahahahaha! Damn it man, my 8 gig rig would buckle at it's knees at 800MB RAM with FF! I switched to Chrome for now, it uses a lot of RAM too, almost the same, but it doesn't slow my machine down as each instance of a tab has its own process as opposed to FF's all in one design. I've been complaining about this for years but everybody assured me that I screwed up. Screw you everybody!:p :-D

5. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

Just for comparison, I am using Opera 11.50, currently have 20 tabs open and Task Manager shows 427,392K in use. ;)

6. FED UP

FED UP MajorGeek

I just downloaded Nightly 9.0a1, 8/23 release . They are indeed working on the memory hogging problems, and if you Download Nightly, you get the option to assist in bugfixes, memory usage reporting etc. Adblock+ is compatible, though flashblock is not yet working. I haven't hit any bugs yet .

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds