Cannot uninstall 1 program from Control Panel

Discussion in 'Software' started by Ritinish, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Ritinish

Ritinish Private E-2

Today I got a fresh Windows 7 install on a fresh PC. I had to go into IE to download antivirus and firefox, then I got a malware - Smileys We Love Toolbar for IE.
    I ran many different antivirus programs and they removed some stuff but it still shows up in control panel and whenever i try to uninstall it it shows this - [​IMG]

What does that mean, how to fix it? Do I need to re-install fresh Windows? I'ts giving me hell of a headache for hours.

Any, ANY... help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

If you installed Win 7 from a legitimate installation disk your quickest way out of this is to install again.

3. Ritinish

Ritinish Private E-2

Well then so be it. Will re-install it :)

4. Earthling

No idea at all of your level of experience but as you contracted malware so soon after setting up then maybe you downloaded your AV or Firefox from a dodgy site. I would advise making sure the source site is either Microsoft or MG wherever that is possible, and to study the source address very closely where that isn't possible.

5. Ritinish

Ritinish Private E-2

This time i will not connect to IE to download antivirus and firefox, I will just already prepare installation files in USB.

6. ChristineBCW

ChristineBCW Corporal

Well, the "dodgy site" that delivered this malware to you on IE might be the same "dodgy site" that supplied it to your USB, yes? No?

The source of the file is the issue, probably not the browser. Unless you have an install copy of Windows from a dodgy site!

7. yabba333

yabba333 Private E-2

Also pay attention when installing as many 'free' products come tied to several third-party programs, sometime when you rush through install wizard you miss the ticked box stating 'tick here to accept [third party program]' which i will admit i have missed a few times and regretted it after :)

8. Ewen

Ewen Corporal

Revo Uninstaller (Free Version) will remove it

9. tritonobx

tritonobx Staff Sergeant

It may be that the uninstall file for the toolbar was removed, so the Windows command to remove the toolbar from control panel can't do it. I have inadvertently removed such uninstall files before, and my fix was to reinstall the program or toolbar to restore the uninstall file, then...go to control panel to remove the program or bar. Not saying this is your issue, but it might be.

10. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Since what you have is an unwanted toolbar, there are two programs that remove unwanted toolbars. Perhaps they will also clean up the garbage left behind. Worth a try.
    Download both of these to your desktop.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/adwcleaner.html
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/junkware_removal_tool.html

Neither install. They both run from the exe you download. That's why it is important to download to the desktop so you can see them to run these cleanup tools.

When each has identified and removed the gunk, you want to remove them
    Double-click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool again.
    Click on the Uninstall button.
    Click Yes when asked are you sure you want to uninstall.
    Both AdwCleaner.exe, its folder and all logs will be removed.

The Junkware Removal Tool can just be deleted.

11. Earthling

12. Ewen

Ewen Corporal

Whatever the circumstance regarding the OPs installation the Force uninstall in Revo will overcome this problem.

Interesting comments though!

13. thexfile

thexfile Private E-2

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds